Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Hydrolic steering

2K views 29 replies 7 participants last post by  Zmann 
#1 ·
Any one running hydrolic steering on a 06?

I've now ruined my second gearbox and first power steering pump.
There any kits out there to get away from this stock system?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
I am not sure but it's a nightmare replacing the pump.

#6 ·
We all have hydraulic steering

your looking for "Ram Assist" check out the red neck ram you will need the ram/hoses/brackets/and your box drilled and taped

but you shouldn't be going through boxes ,, remans can be iffy however

#23 ·
I want to put up another way to do the tie rod clamp setup.
1.75 tie rod clamp with 5/8-18 boss | PSCMotorsports.com performance steering components, power steering

The pic here shows the ram on top of the tie rod, but I have mine behind the tie rod. On my 06 axle I didnt use any washers and the head of the bolt would just barely touch the retaining nut for the trac bar ball joint. I probably should have ground the head of the bolt down even though I havent had any problems yet. I also need to install one inchish bump stop drops to keep the frame from touching the barrel of the assist cylinder.

#24 ·
Thanks
interesting

however I like the dual tab method it spreads the load better than having all the force
on that single welded on bung and that seems to be a lot of leverage by just using a long bolt ?

plus the second picture can be saftey wired and using a nylock nut or double nutted vs locktite

#25 ·
I cant remember if the bung is welded on the inside, but I believe the threads went all the way to the inside of the clamp. The part of the bolt not threaded into the bung is only as long as the spherical bearing is wide.

Ive had the truck in a position where I was unable to steer the tires (rock and a hard spot) and nothing broke.

The ram will also travel farther than the box stops. I havent seen anything online that will allow me to easily solve that problem yet.

#27 ·
I did read about a throw issue and how they adjusted it
I think they put a spacer on the ram and then repositioned the ram

the spacer basically made the body of the ram longer and the throw shorter

I will see if I can find that article

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.