Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Fastest way to pull 7.3 & E4OD??

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  John Martens 
#1 ·
I want to pull my 7.3 & tranny out of my 97 CCSB 4x4, I have one weekend to do it, what is the best way to go about it?

Dont want to take the long way around if I dont have to.

#4 ·
Pulling out in a weekend should be no problem. Remove core support and fenders and hood to make it easy... can probably get away with just the hood if you really have to. Would be much easier with the core support out.

I have done it with a heavy engine hoist and a swing crane in the shop, engine hoist works but was skeptical of 1000lbs hanging over my core support

Remove tq converter bolts, bell housing bolts, slide trans back, yank out engine, remove trans x-member, drop trans and transfercase from below... I cant really imagine the engine and trans coming out in one shot. gotta drop the trans from below.

Of course there is more to it, but If i need to outline every thing that will need to be disconnected then you probably have no business doing it.

The first time may take a little time, but if you have done it once its about a 4-5 hour job.

Can I ask why you want to take them out?

#7 ·
I am preparing for my cr cummins and 4r100.

I also have another 97 w a new tranny and shot motor, I will be reinstalling this one.

I can use a telehandler for about 4 hrs on Saturday. So that's why I was wondering on the fastest way.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
remove the core support n fenders if you are using a telehandler... much more room for error, and if you are putting a cummins in, you will want that stuff out of the way anyway.

Maybe you can use the telehandler like a lift for removing the stuff underneath...:hehe:

#10 ·
Jaws of life?

#16 ·
I pulled a 1999 2wd 7.3 w/ tranny still attached in about 1 hour and 15 minutes from a truck that got smacked in the mouth. I just took a partner saw and cut the front clip off. Then we hooked up the crane truck flipped it on its side unhooked everything we could cut the rest. Then re attached the crane to the motor and pulled it out.

The other one I did I was more gentle,lol, it took about six hours just to get the motor out. It was a 2000 f350 2wd and it was TIGHT! There is no way the tranny was coming with it, I didnt remove the core support either.

#17 ·
Got the engine and tranny out as one unit, in 6hrs. Not to bad. Didn't think the engine would clear the crossmember, took off the starter and oil filter and that made it a lot easier.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.