Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

This How to Install You're 6.0 Trans Cooler -My Detailed Write-UP

107K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  Doakster 
#1 ·
6.0 Trans Cooler Install on 7.3 Superduty.

I decided to make a detailed write up on my 6.0 Trans Cooler install. This is being performed on a vehicle with a water/oil trans cooler in the radiator. For those truck that don't have that cooler the install will be very similar, the routing of the new lines will be slightly different.

Here Goes.

Start by removing the Top rubber protector from the radiator support area. A door panel tool works great for doing this.

Next Remove the hood latch, this is needed because the 6.0 Trans cooler will not fit in without removing the latch, the 7.3 cooler will however come out with the latch in place. It is a good idea to mark the location for the hood latch for when it is reinstalled, if you do not it might take a little adjustment to get you're hood to close properly.

Next remove the bolts on the upper supports for the AC Condenser, this will give you a little more room to play with, but is not 100 percent necessary.

Next Remove the Grill, this is very simple and will make the job much easier in getting to the top mounting bolts for the cooler. Remove the top screws that hold the upper part of the grill in place and then unclip the lower tabs that hold the grill on, a screw driver with a little persuasion is often needed. Here are the lower clips.

Now you can access the top mounting bolt for the cooler with an extension and a swivel, remove both top mounting bolts on the cooler.

Next underneath the truck/cooler remove the rubber protector out of the way to access the bottom bolts, remove them.

Now find the original 3/8 lines that go back toward the trans, they are located near the passenger side tire.

Hear.

And Hear

Note that these lines are held in place by a plastic clip on the frame, remove them from the clip. Take note which is the upper and lower one coming from which side of the orginal cooler, you will be installing them in the same orientation with the new cooler

Next remove the clips that hold the rubber 3/8 lines to the hard lines and pull the lines back toward the cooler so everything can be removed, then remove the old cooler with the lines, you will be reusing the 3/8 lines later so save them. Note the lower hard line will continue to leak but not much, I lost only about 1/2 quart of ATF during one hour of the line being off.

Next Prep the 6.0 Trans cooler with 1/2 in Trans line, the easiest place to find it is at NAPA, they sell section in 3 ft which is perfect for this install, you can also get a 25ft roll but it is not necessary. Install hose clamps at the fitting on the cooler.

Install the new cooler in place, it can only go one way, with the 90 degree taps on the lower brackets facing the engine. Route the new 1/2 in lines as you go.

Reinstall the bolt on the new cooler, note the lower bolts will need an added washer due to the large hole in the lower bracket.

Next get ready to splice the 1/2 in lines to the original 3/8 lines. The fittings I used are the ones you see below. You will not find these at any automotive shop, home depot, hardware store, etc. They are hard to come by, they are a Barbed Reducing Union 1/2 to 3/8, this makes for no threaded connections in your splicing. You can find them here. http://www.plumbingstore.com/barb.html

Next Route Your 1/2 lines back toward where the original hard lines are, I found the most logical place to be under the passenger side cooler fitting shown here.

Next cut to fit the 1/2 lines and the original 3/8 rubber lines so that they are spliced together using the fittings, use hose clamps or the original clamps on the connections, make sure all the hoses are not kinked, install wire loom around all hoses is also a good idea. The final results looked something like this.

Driver Side Cooler Fitting

And a view of the splices, note the lines have some slack in them and there are not kinks, also zip tie the lines as needed to hold them in place, this view does not show the upper hose connection, but the hose of the right goes up toward the upper hard line and connects to it.

Next check everything for tightness, install everything you took off. And Start the truck for 20-30 or so seconds, this will fill the new cooler. Check the fluid level and add as necessary, I added about 2- 2 1/2 Quarts of trans fluid.

Drive the Truck and get it up to temp, mine only went up to 130 or so, check the level again and add if necessary, also check for leaks.

This install took me a little less than 2 hours.

Enjoy Your new Cooler.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good suggestion, just had time to edit it in.

#5 ·
Sticky Worthy anyone? As far as I know we don't have one of these on this site.

#10 ·
Only one problem I can see....the thread title says you are 6.0 Trans Cooler. LOL

Other than that, VERY nice write up, I believe this should be a sticky also! Good job!
I guess I really wanedt to get my point across. :D

#9 ·
Good write-up. That is just how i did mine.

#11 ·
I did mine the same way (even used that same socket-wrench; my favorite new tool), but with the aid of the BTS 6.0L install-kit, which included the hoses, 90º adapters, clamps and washers for those lower bolts. I ordered it when I got my valve-body, and while the $25 it cost may be more than the parts if you get them individually, it saved me a bunch of time hunting them down and/or ordering them.

Two other differences:

With the BTS kit, you can shorten things by removing the hard-line from the driver's-side outlet in the radiator, shortening it with a tubing-cutter, turning it slightly and then routing the hose around the bottom corner on the driver's-side of the radiator.

There were a BUNCH of flexible rubber shrouding that blocked my access to the mounting-bolts; I had to disconnect the clips and peel those back or pry them out of the way to get at the bolts.

#14 ·
Got any pics of the "BTS KIT", I'd be interested in seeing how the set up looks.

#12 ·
just pull your AC condenser up out of the way and you can get to the 8mm bolts from t he top with a small extension.

#13 ·
nice write up...need a how to sticky link with links to this ..
maintain's chip install video etc...

#16 ·
Looks good, the 90 degree fitting would have worked great for me too, with out them the lines just loop around a little bit more to make a smooth bend.

#18 ·
I always fancy myself a great speller.....Nope:shrug:

#19 ·
Note that these lines are held in place by a plastic clip on the frame, remove them from the clip. Take note which is the upper and lower one coming from which side of the orginal cooler, you will be installing them in the same orientation with the new cooler

how do you know which side the upper or lower trans lines mount to the 6.0L trans cooler? like example the upper trans line does it plug into the hole farther away or closer?

#20 ·
If the upper line on the original set up goes to the far fitting on the original cooler, then run it the same way for the 6.0 cooler or vise versa for the bottom line. Just take note of which line goes to which side of the original cooler and do the same for the 6.0 cooler

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.