Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

lil update- test drive complete

79K views 879 replies 110 participants last post by  bbbxcursion 
#1 ·
Well its time again to update stuff. we made 600+ on fuel so now time for twins. We had problems iwth the cometic gaskets with the big single so while the built engine is getting fixed we decided to try some huge twins on a stock bottom end. Good news- forged rods are not bent, bad news - hg's hate us at 80+ psi of boost. built engine is going back together with a di cam, lower compression, casserly injector mods and stock hg's. MY goal is 800 on fuel and we definatly have enough air to get there, my twins are not small lol. Pick away keyboard racers!

#6 ·
Re: lil update

Luke, I think you stole them pics from me. My inner fender went awol too and the charger is sitting in about the exact spot, just a littler higher. Any way good luck with the built engine, should be interesting.

#12 ·

Firerings are not the end-all to head sealing that they get pimped as. They fail just fine when subjected to harsh cylinder pressure. But they do have the benefit of having so many more ways to screw them up. And if that happens, you get to have a headgasket failure when you're not even pushing hard.

#14 ·

Firerings are not the end-all to head sealing that they get pimped as. They fail just fine when subjected to harsh cylinder pressure. But they do have the benefit of having so many more ways to screw them up. And if that happens, you get to have a headgasket failure when you're not even pushing hard.
I take it, your not Fire ringed?

#13 ·

When do you expect to have it together?

#16 ·

Or Jason's truck, or a slew of other trucks through the years. They fail just fine. Just like any head sealing method, if pushed hard enough or if improperly installed they will fail too.

I could just as easily have done rings when this engine went together. I chose Cometics because I feel them to be the best option for a street truck. My truck doesn't make wild power, but it's also not completely tame either. During some testing recently we recorded cylinder pressure of 3400psi before I adjusted the boost accordingly. The gaskets are fine. I firmly believe that if the truck is tuned properly the gaskets will hold more than the rest of the engine. It is my belief that if you are having gasket issues, you either had the unfortunate experience of improper install, or you have a more serious problem that is due to your cylinder pressure and shape. This holds true for any of the head sealing options. My only gripe with fire-rings is that the chance of an issue with the install/prep itself is much higher IMO. And the debated issue of retorque and heat cycling that IMO make them less desireable for the street.

But that is just one opinion.

#19 ·

Or Jason's truck, or a slew of other trucks through the years. They fail just fine. Just like any head sealing method, if pushed hard enough or if improperly installed they will fail too.

I could just as easily have done rings when this engine went together. I chose Cometics because I feel them to be the best option for a street truck. My truck doesn't make wild power, but it's also not completely tame either. During some testing recently we recorded cylinder pressure of 3400psi before I adjusted the boost accordingly. The gaskets are fine. I firmly believe that if the truck is tuned properly the gaskets will hold more than the rest of the engine. It is my belief that if you are having gasket issues, you either had the unfortunate experience of improper install, or you have a more serious problem that is due to your cylinder pressure and shape. This holds true for any of the head sealing options. My only gripe with fire-rings is that the chance of an issue with the install/prep itself is much higher IMO. And the debated issue of retorque and heat cycling that IMO make them less desireable for the street.

But that is just one opinion.
FYI

I had firerings on every 7.3 build except the original stock engine. Only one that was ever re-torqued was the very first one. One of those "non re-torqued" engines had 70k+ mi. put on it in 13 months daily commuting to work. NEVER had ONE single HG issue. ;)

Good luck Luke!! :D

#17 ·

Lookin good Luke!

#18 ·

I forgot to mention, i think the hg's failed due to running stock injector tunes with the huge b codes. I feel that with the proper tunes that the engine would still be alive.

danny, im shooting for the north texas rally but i doubt that will happen. If not i'll take it to the ford buick shoot out early november in oklahoma.

#21 ·

So the general rule of thumb is that a hot retorue is "required" on a fire ringed engine, however some have not. I have heard they are reusable, any truth to that? Are they that hard to install other than the machining?(considering it is done right by a reputable diesel performance shop)

#23 ·

Yes, a hot re-torque is required with Wide Opens kit. Proper machining is key.
FYI

I had firerings on every 7.3 build except the original stock engine. Only one that was ever re-torqued was the very first one. One of those "non re-torqued" engines had 70k+ mi. put on it in 13 months daily commuting to work. NEVER had ONE single HG issue. ;)
:doh:

Other then that, installation is simple.
I take it that is from your VAST firering installation experience!!:doh:LOL

#25 ·

time for another update. I took the last 2 1/2 days off work to try and get this thing ready for the ford/buick shootout this weekend. All went well except the bolts i ordered next day air from fastenal for the gen 3 housing did not make it here, so the truck is still on a single stock hpop. It pulls hard at about 1/3 throttle anything past than and its just smoke and lots of it. The only thing i can see so far that needs attention is an oil leak that looks to be from the h2 kit. I guess we'll have to settle for some dyno pulls when i get the oil on because all the tracks here will be closed.

#26 ·

Well just drive that ####er down here one weekend. Our tracks are open year raound. :D

#30 ·

she's done. spent the last 2 1/2 days thrashing so i could take it to the ford/ buick shootout and all was well until today. I put about 10 miles on it last night and took it up to 50ish psi just to make sure everything was ok. The only thing revealed after test drive was a small oil leak from the h2e oil drain. no big deal. other than that it was smooth as silk. My plans were to make an easy pass to see how it leaves the line with these big ass chargers. I had it idling in the staging lanes to warm it up and someone pointed out a coolant leak, wtf. Somehow the coolant tank had been pressurized, so i took it back to the trailer w/o making a pass. We drained enough coolant out so that it wouldnt over flow then put the cap back on and let it idle for a good 10 min and all was good again. I decided to take the truck out on the road and run it to see what happened. 1st run up to 40-45 psi stop, checked coolant.... it was gone. second run to 50-55 psi and that was all she wrote. heard a big kerplunk and the rest is history. Not sure what happened, the hg's should not have failed at that level. Pissed does not even start to explain things right now.

#31 ·

she's done. spent the last 2 1/2 days thrashing so i could take it to the ford/ buick shootout and all was well until today. I put about 10 miles on it last night and took it up to 50ish psi just to make sure everything was ok. The only thing revealed after test drive was a small oil leak from the h2e oil drain. no big deal. other than that it was smooth as silk. My plans were to make an easy pass to see how it leaves the line with these big ass chargers. I had it idling in the staging lanes to warm it up and someone pointed out a coolant leak, wtf. Somehow the coolant tank had been pressurized, so i took it back to the trailer w/o making a pass. We drained enough coolant out so that it wouldnt over flow then put the cap back on and let it idle for a good 10 min and all was good again. I decided to take the truck out on the road and run it to see what happened. 1st run up to 40-45 psi stop, checked coolant.... it was gone. second run to 50-55 psi and that was all she wrote. heard a big kerplunk and the rest is history. Not sure what happened, the hg's should not have failed at that level. Pissed does not even start to explain things right now.

That sucks I fully understand ! I am backing way off from mine I just want to drive it. I might build it to 425 or soo but that is a stretch. I am having my 230ccs put back to 160cc and the tune calmed down some so I can drive it and get some MPGs

#33 ·

maybe you need to look at another machine shop to do your work, and also some cometic head gaskets... obviously whatever you're doing to that thing isn't working well. thats just my .02 cents...

FWIW, we have pushed a stock bottom end with cometics over 72 PSI of boost for over 100 passes this year with absolutely no problems at all... I think that there is something weird going on with that thing!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.