Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.7 allison 6 speed

7K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  rjustman 
#1 ·
Hey all im gonna be doing a 6.7 6speed ally swap..its the.. first true build ive ever done ill be posting pics and looking for helpful info along the way..

#5 ·
You will need a stand alone trans controller, the best one to use is a PCS trans controller. Also tuning that 5r is going to be a nightmare, you might want to consider following through with your allison, or getting a 4r. Do some searching on the forums about tuning a 5r with a stand alone controller after a cummins swap and you'll get a better idea of where I'm coming from.

#7 ·
I have never heard of anyone using the ford PCM to control a 5r. I don't see how its possible since it isn't a stand alone controller like for example the allison transmissions. The PCM would need engine inputs that are no longer there.

It would be a first for me if I seen someone using the factory PCM to control the trans.

#8 ·
thers quite a few people actually.. you dont need a stand alone to run an allison either.. theres a few guys running 6 speed allys behind a few different motor combos.. no one even makes a 6 speed standalone yet.. thats what i will be doing when i get the allison fully built..:)

#9 ·
Allison transmissions use their own computer as far as I know. Therefor its a stand alone controller. For example the transmission tuning is not part of the ECM in a duramax, it is separate.
Also like I said, I have never seen anyone controlling a 5r with the factory PCM after an engine swap. That sounds ridiculous, and unpractical to me anyways. A PCS stand alone trans controler is way ahead of any ford transmission tuning capabilities anyway, a LONG way ahead. I have one running a 4r100 and it is an excellent piece of engineering. However it is still difficult to tune the 5r using a PCS because of the way the 5r is designed and the way it shifts gears.

#10 ·
i understand what you are saying but at the same time there are people NOT using the PCS after a motor swap to control the 5R.. also there are people not using the allison standalone say from destroked to control the 6 speed allsions, pretty much cuz there is not a "standalone" available for the allison 6 speed yet.. there is only a standalone for the 5 speeds and you can convert it to a 6 speed with their aftermarket valve body.. but HAVING to use a PCS to control the 5r, is a false statement.. you can actually use the factory ford controller to control the 5R

so with that said is there anyone out there with the knoledge to NOT use to PCS controller on the 5R and still get the 5R to control...

#11 ·
I did not say that the PCS was the only option for controlling a 5R. There are other controllers out there, but the PCS is the best available at the moment. Prove me wrong that a transmission controller is not needed for the 5R once the engine is removed. I would love to hear from someone that used fords pcm to control the transmission after removing the engine. I won't say its impossible, but certainly not practical for almost anyone.

And your totally missing what I'm saying about the Allison. Allison transmissions use a TCM (Transmission Control Module), which is quite similar to a stand alone trans. controller.

#13 ·
The PCS can control multiple different transmissions, the same one that controls the 5R can control the 4R. It's all about how someone sets it up. You haven't done to much reading about it if you haven't read one positive thing about it.

Lets see these links to compD, with the guys using the ford PCM. It actually interests me, if its been done.

#14 ·
Just go to comp d under the conversion page.im not sure why its so hard to believe....if you can use a factory tcm from a 6speed ally and put it behind a cummins..why couldnt you use a ford pcm the same way?? Not sure what your deal is..im not making this stuff up..not trying to be rude either but damn man..i asked for help..not criticism... ive found the info i needed from one of the guys on comp d..one of the ones who has actually done it....

#15 ·
I offered my input back on the first page and you picked it apart and have been trying to tell me I'm wrong. That's when you get criticized, because I've actually done it to.
Not to mention, why are you even asking for help here and not in the threads over on compD your talking about?

#16 ·
why would you ask a question you already know the answer for?
why bother using the 5r anyways if your going to put a Allison behind.
Ive used a pcs for a e4od worked just fine , no complaints.
good luck trying to get the factory trans computer to properly work the trans after the motor swap. the factory computer inputs the rpm vs tps vs vehicle speed to determine what gear and when to shift.
if you can mymic the same voltage and pulses the 6.0 sensors put out with the 6.7 im sure it could be done. or just buy a pcs computer like everyone else.

#17 ·
I just got the info the other day between our last posts..it needs tps rpm and a map signal in order to work..really not a huge deal to get..:) and theres a guy that will tune the trans after the swap..

Yeah the pcs for the 5r is the hardest to tune i hear..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.