Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Air to water intercooler?

10K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  geared_low550 
#1 ·
Does anybody have any experience with them? I've seen a fair number of threads on here dealing with re-using a superduty cooler, or using a banks kit, but hardly any talk about air to water units. I just did a quick search and found complete universal kits (minus the piping) for less than $400 rated for 70psi, and I'm wondering if there is a reason why I don't see that sort of thing being used in our trucks? Sure there is a water pump to wire, but that can't be much different from setting up an e-fuel system? Do they not transfer as much heat as a superduty or banks system? Or is it more a case of "he's not running it, so why should I"?

Lookin to learn something, it was a dull day at work.

#4 ·
I've seen water/air intercoolers being used on rice rockets due to the limited space available. I thinking a water/air setup would not be able to handle a long heavy tow up a mountain. In the end you still need to transfer all that heat to the air so why complicate things with an auxiliary water pump, hoses and ten or twenty gallons of extra water?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
#6 ·
I think that's a sharp looking setup, though I'm not sure what you mean by triple pass radiator.

This is the sort of universal kit that caught my eye and got me interested in the first place.

TYPE 4 Water to Air Intercooler Kit - Basic

#9 ·
When the time comes to put a cooler on my truck I want to know what all the possible options are, and the pros & cons of each. I'm just exploring this option right now.

#8 ·
In|>>>>|
|<<<<|
|>>>>|out

This is on a Cummins but same concept. The coolant passes through the radiator three times and each time the coolant will radiate heat and become the lowest temp possible when it exits the radiator.

#12 ·
I honestly don't see any gain going to a W/A cooler. The hotter you coolant the hotter the intake charge; still better than nothing though.

#13 ·
I want to fabricate my own intakes and a smooth radiused splitter and run just meth injection. I do not mind adding the meth once in a while and its a simpler installation in my eyes. I also wouldn't have pressure drop across an intercooler. is there any downs to my idea besides adding meth once in a while?

#14 ·
Depends, what is your intentions? Daily driver? Towing? In all reality with my set-up I have not seen temps that push me towards an intercooler.

#16 ·
I thought the 6.7s have a water to air AND air to air from factory on them? I remember looking under the hood of a buddies new truck in 2011 and thought it had both.... then again all I really recognized was the battery....hahahaa

jrc

#17 ·
To the OP, it absolutely works and very well. Mine only has a 2.5 gallon capacity and the water is never too hot to touch. My A/W cooler is between the stages(twin turbo). I use the air to air as well. My own tests show a 10 mph gain on a steep grade and cooler system(EGTS, water temp, and oil temp). I use a separate radiator or as well call a heat exchanger mounted in the bumper. I do plan on installing a larger A/W cooler and a larger capacity tank, because the cooler I have now is not able to flow enough CFMs at full boost. But towing my 41ft Weekend Warrior, it's great.

#20 ·
I had an air to water on the cobra because of the supercharger. It would get heat soak after a run but cool back down. The cool thing they developed for those cars is called a killer chiller. Basically it uses the a/c to cool down the intercooler.

Maybe they would be interested in helping adapt a system for these trucks?

http://www.killerchiller.com/index.html

#21 ·
Yes the 6.7 does use that setup, so why couldn't we use it and it be just as good as theirs is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.