Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

7.3 compounds !!!

10K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  Stroke smoke 
#1 ·
I have pretty much everything except the turbo . Im thinking the gt5533r? From what I've read the 47r seems to be a bit on the small side . For 400/400
Where is the best route to run the piping from the big turbo ? Straight to my 38 then through the intercooler or gt55 To the intercooler to the 38 and then into the engine ?

Lots of little concerns just want to do it right the first time

#2 ·
i would want to run it through the 38 then to the intercooler unless you plan on using alot of water. how big of an external wastegate do you plan on running?

#6 ·
well the GT55 is an expensive turbo but you have a lot of options with one, 91 to 105 mm compressor, but a 95mm S510 is half the cost and still very durable turbo. for twins this size i think i would look at maybe doin a twin wastegate set up maybe a 30mm off each up pipe just a thought but i think a 45 will be a little on the small side. what year of truck do you have do you plan on keeping the heaters box and a/c? i am guessing you have a built motor to go along with this?

#7 ·
I don't know if there's quite enough room to route two wastegates around the 38 ? Ill look more closely today I can get a larger one the the rg45 . I want to put the gate right before the exhaust inlet to the 38 and around to the down pipe. I plan on still being able to drive the truck on the street regularly is why I was thinking a more efficient turbo might be the better route been looking into the GTX. 47 too seems like a more efficient turbo with faster spool up and equal power to the gt55 or the s510 I just don't have very much experience on turbos but if the s510 will behave mannerly then that seems like the better route as far as the wallet goes haha ,
My truck is a 99 with forged rods and 02 bigger intake , I'm putting billet connecting rods and a girdle as far as built goes I'm debating on a Firering on the heads ....., I was told that ford micro polishes the heads and the first seal is very strong so I was going to give it a shot at just torquing the head studs down
and thank you for a reply !

#8 ·
i think i would look into some piston work (Mahles bowl work and some coating) maybe someone will chime in on the best place to get them i think fire rings are a good idea H11 studs as well

#9 ·
H11 s or on the table :) think there *** , just trying to draw a line lol seems like no stop and they have steel mahles but if I remeber right they have no keystone which means ur buying pistons every 20k or so and if I Firering the heads then they're getting ported and if there getting ported then there polished and if I do that headers just no end lol

#15 ·
Here is 119 pages of reading. It took me a couple of nights, but there is some info in there. PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Here is some inspiration for reading to see what the result is. Pretty sure its his truck.
Compounds Daily - YouTube
Man.... The truck rides rough.:doh: About a minute into the video, as it's idling down, really rough.....chop chop chop chop....he needs tuning.:D

Stroke smoke, there are many options. Precision Turbo makes a pretty decent version of the 47 as well, with a billet wheel thats about 300 CFM more flow then Garrett 47/18.

#16 ·
Just finished the thread took so long lol he said that the 55 is the way to go on the maps from garret the gtx there new turbo line with the billet wheel flows equivalent to the gt 55 dual bb Charles was running the 55 with the journal bearing really want to just order the turbo already if the gtx wasn't 3800 it be here by now ! And thanks ill check out the precision . I think they'll all work I just don't want to lose the drivability of her thinking the gtx because it flows just as much as the 55 and spools faster then the 47

#18 ·
Yes, there was a bit of sarcasm, but just a little. His idle did sound pretty bad.:D And yes, he has a Dyno very close to home, but not in his back yard.:D I'm not even sure his truck is even running, since he disappeared.:doh:

Stroke smoke, what does the GTX flow? Precision offers a BB version and the standard bushing version as well. I went with the bushing version. It does well.

#19 ·
Last I read he was building a shop, if you look on his youtube account he is screwing around with some milling machine. I'm sure he'll be back. There is 1000hp fuel only itch that I'm sure is getting to him lol. If I had the time right now (and always the money) I'd be into building something similar myself. I have the truck sitting parked waiting for it.

#20 ·
I d like to be one of the few 1000hp 7.3s but we all know how that goes lol I'd be content with a 700 number and I have some spray laying around so I'm sure if I need I could spray to a 1000 haha I'm in the process of ordering everything right now my trucks pretty built right now I've been slowly warming her up lol it has bts tranny, fass 220, reg return , php tunes, banks cooler etc etc I'm ready for the next jump. On the shop table there's a gen 3 swamps, 400/400 swamps , *** head studs, valve springs , pushrods, connecting rods, girdle, nx progressive 2 stage , Rg 45 gate, I think that's it I still need my low pressure turbo a another wastegate piping and I believe that's it? Do I need something else to have her hold ? I am keeping my ac and heater and will drive the truck on the reg fingers crossed

#25 ·
Charle's truck was running the last I knew. And that first video is OLD. If you heard his truck idle now you wouldn't know it had injectors. He runs pretty well a stock internal motor I think...

#27 ·
Just started on it yesterday , pulled the motor out and was checking out the pos 38r mount , do u guys think it's worth it to just hop up to the h2e?what turbo if I did ? And can u waste gate just one of the up pipes ? Any advice is appreciated getting ready to dive into it

#28 ·
Put the irate valve springs in , installed the injectors and studded the heads down with *** head studs , girdle is holding the bottom end with arp studs
Waiting on my colt stage 2 cam supposed to be here today along with the irate mount...., I decided on the s366 , everything smooth so far I can't upload pics off my phone ill put some up tonight if I have time ,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.