Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Used Rev x and now having issues

6K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  carguyz28 
#1 ·
Hello to all! Im new to this forum, but not new to the truck and performance world. Ive followed this site for quite some time and finnaly decided to become a member as more useful posts and help is done here rather than elsewhere. My problem has me stumped. I forever have read reviews on the rev x and its abilities to help stiction. I have a 2004 6.0 with 160 thousand kms, so 100 thousand miles. I have been having cold start issues as most have done in the past. It would smoke, and feel a miss, but not through a code. I installed Rev x and it seemed to work right away. I drove the truck about 100kms, so 60 miles, and punched it to pass someone, and y truck died. Went dead, no warning. It sat outside here in calgary ab, in minus 25 all day, From what I read, I decided to go after the IPR valve ( as I just had my HPOP, ICP, oil cooler, and egr done last week ) In the freezing cold, after 4 hrs, ( I know that took longer than most, but was my first time doing it and didnt have the correct socket ) we got it out and sure as #### the screens were clogged and one torn... So I replaced with a new one, and put it back together, and the truck fired right up even not being plugged in! But to my surprize, and fear, It ran like crap until temps got to 184* F. Any colder and at Idle it felt like it wanted to stall out, it would sputter, and still no codes eccept Exhaust backpressure code that went away after I hit the 180* temps. Does anywone know why the truck is running like this? My oil was changed with shell rottella T tripple protection Twice this week! Once cause I did the HPOP and then because I drove 2000 miles on a trip to Idaho to buy some sleds and when got back wanted fresh oil with the Rev x. Im stumped... any help would be great. Thanks guys

See less See more
#3 ·
I live in Calgary alberta Canada. S no one has any ideas? I'm in my truck right now. And it seems to run good when above idle. But idling it seems to have a miss but no codes.

#6 ·
Sounds like it needs injectors, get a power balance test done. Rev x is really a mask to a problem, it doesnt cure it forever. The spool valves in the injectors are sticking, thats apparent because stiction came back. The spool valve in the injector is just like a piston in a cylinder bore. The stiction causes the spool to wear, and when it wears it no longer functions properly. When rebuilding, they're throwaway objects and need to be replaced. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
Did you do all the work on the truck? I would just go over it and make sure all the connectors on all the sensors are good and tight. Also make sure none of your wiring got damaged in the process. My main concern would be with the injectors though. If your icp screen was clogged with crap, my guess in the same crap also made it to the injectors, restricting the oil flow and not allowing them to fire correctly. This might be why it runs better when warm. With the oil flowing better at warm temps, it would allow it to flow into a partially clogged injector easier. Just throwing ideas out there for you.

#8 ·
Do you have a early or late 04? Is the ICP sensor on the valve cover? If so its late. You might have blown a D-plug or stand pipe o-ring could be causing a ICP loss to some injectors when you floored it to pass someone it blew it out causing the immediate shut down. You replaced the IPR the truck was cold so the oil was thicker and fired up. once warmer the blown o-ring expands causeing the ICP press to rise a little.

#9 ·
ok, the whole story about the rev ex, the oil cooler, the hpop, ipr etc is pretty much not important at this point. bottom line is, the truck ships at idle and runs rough cold with no other driveability or starting concerns. correct? if this is the case, bring it to someone with the ability to diagnos it. power balance, relative or actual compression, inj click test etc. pid monitor icp and ipr and measure fuel pressure. if you cant do these things yourself, you need to get it to someone who can. we can talk abnout it all day and you can throw parts at, but the proof is in the test results of a propper diagnosis. I will help if I can, but solid data is necessary at this point.

#10 ·
trust me, you chose the right forum. the other guys on this site sometimes surprise me with their knowledge and I can tell from reading their posts that many of them are factory trained ford diesel techs. your post basically says, I used rev ex and it helped. then my truck quit, so i got it running again after replacing ipr. I replaced a bunch of other parts last week, now it runs bad again. I gave you the best advice I could with the info you gave us. I come across cold but I want some solid data so we can get you up and running without throwing a bunch of parts at it that it doesnt need.

#11 ·
Why was the HPOP changed? Do you know if its internals came apart? As Bluebish said, we really need more info to go off of. Sorry if you dont feel like this board is as helpful as others. I believe no info is more useful than bad info. Anybody can say "That happened to my brother's wife's cousin's husband's truck and it was a pcm issue." Next thing you know you are focused on a problem that might happen in one in every 10000 trucks. I will keep throwing ideas out though if that is what you are looking for.

You said it was cold out. Are you sure you dont have fuel gelling up?

#13 ·
Sounds like injectors sticking. Rev x can only hide the problem for so long once they get to a certain point it can't be "hidden" anymore. Get a power balance done to find out which injector(s) are bad and go from there.

#14 ·
No I did not personally do the work to my truck. Big dog performance in Calgary ab did. The hpop was changed as I was in there changing out the sump screen and had one there so we decided to use it. I'm in no way blaming rev x for the issues. I just don't know why after all this work that its running bad. I need to go back to Boise Idaho next week and don't trust the truck.

#17 ·
well, you very well might have bad injectors, but only 60 miles on a dose of RevX is not long enough for it to get it done. Also you really should use synthetic oil.
RevX removes the varnish that causes stiction, so it does not "mask" the problem, it removes it. However that doesn't prevent it coming back, any more than changing injectors prevents the new ones from going bad. Natural oil is a huge problem for the 6.0L fuel injection system.

After all the work done to the truck "last week", you jump straight to suspecting that the RevX has caused this problem, that's kinda weird.

#20 ·
No there is no shake. Even a little gas and the truck smooths out. Still smokes but runs smooth Natalya smooth till about 10 seconds after you come to a stop then starts a miss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.