Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Dynatrac Free-Spin kit & accessories purchased from OBS WIZ, my experience

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Bobs 7.3 
#1 ·
I just wanted to write a short review of my experience with OBS WIZ (Cary Towery) and the Dynatrac products.

I ordered the Dynatrac Free-Spin kit with fine and course studs, the Dynatrac Pro Steer ball joints, and the Dynatrac Dynaloc locking hubs from Cary's company CT Performance Inc.

The total bill came out to $3,100 with free shipping.

The parts showed up shortly after he received payment and I delivered the boxes to my local alignment shop and told them to put them on and do the front axle U-Joints while they had it apart, and also had them install some brake rotors and pads that I had sitting on a shelf. I had all the tools necessary to do the install myself, except a shop press. And since my truck won't fit in my garage and it's 10 degrees out, the shop got to do it for me.

I went to pick up the truck from the shop and noticed some shiny new Warn Premium locking hubs on there instead of the Dynalocs I ordered. I drove it home, took a few pictures, and emailed Cary. He immediately took care of it and gave me an address to send the Warns to after I pulled them off (about 5 minutes per side, so no big deal). Once Dynatrac received the Warns they sent the correct Dynalocs to work with the Free-Spin kit (different spline counts than stock) which showed up today and I just finished installing without issue.

As for the Free-Spin kit, it looked super high end, with all components machined perfectly. I was mostly interested in the increased reliability and serviceability, as well as its use of common, easy to find bearings and its ability to handle the loads from oversize tires. My truck will eventually have 42" tires so this was a big concern.

I don't know what I can say about the Pro Steer ball joints because I'm not much of an expert but they came highly recommended from Cary and they looked very high quality. The truck does seem to steer more easily, especially with the engine off with no power assist.

And as for the Dynaloc hubs, all I can say is the look BEEFY. The design is far superior to the Warns, and they look much better too. Installing them was simple and easy, and it was nice to see how they went together and functioned so I will have no problem tearing them down every 12 months to regrease them as per the manual, or immediately following submersion in water.

Anyways, that's my story. Thanks a bunch Cary (OBS WIZ), and Dynatrac for the AWESOME hardware. The peace of mind from having a bullet-proof front end is a nice thing to have.

If anyone is considering biting the bullet, I highly recommend it. $3,100 is a lot of money to spend on something as boring as an axle (instead of turbos and tuners and transmissions) but is well worth it and permanently fixes a serious, catastrophic failure point with these trucks and gives you confidence in your rig.

Thanks again,
Sean

See less See more
#5 ·
Sean great write up. I hope you enjoy the new frontend. Cary is a great asset to have. He helped me do the frontend conversion to my 02 when most of the shops had no interest in helping me.

Dana

#6 ·
I'm still saving up for Cary's suspension/handling upgrade shopping list. He will be the ONLY guy I will be contacting for my Excursion's build up. Plus I'm almost there for talking myself into his Wilwood brake kits front and back. One stop shopping for everything I want for my Excursion.

#7 ·
Cary has always worked on my truck, he is a straight shooter. He won't try to sell you something you don't need just to make the extra buck.

#8 ·
What was the price on that dyna-trac free spin kit with coarse threads? I want to convert my 02 club cab over after changing out 8 wheel bearings in 5 years. Im oh so sick of them junk factory wheel hubs and love to repack my bearings every 6 months and have them last for ten years at the costs of inexspensive wheel seals. thanks in advance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.