Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Upgrade intercooler

3K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  bfife 
#1 ·
Is it worth it to put a alum. intercooler in for towing? I am having to lift on the peddle going over passes towing 6k in my 80 tow program. Any input?

Thanks

#2 ·
how much rpm are you turning while pullin the grades? what size is your exhaust housing? one option would be a spearco, or a DI intercooler, or maybe water injection.

remember, rpm and boost is your friend. they both will help you cool the egt's.

also, maybe jody's 40 tow tune, that would help.

#3 ·
I am about 2800 rpm, around 24 psi. I have the 1.0 high flow housing on the turbo.

#4 ·
you should fill in your signature, automatic? manual? are you in overdrive

with that much boost an intercooler would help alot, but like said by bigd4me2 said jody's 40 tow might help alot to

#5 ·
trailer hauler, his sig says 6 speed zf6 i guess. he is probably in 4th at 1 to 1???
its a f250 so it has 3.73's must be going about 60 mph judging by the rpm.

your sig states a gross combo weight of 17.5k, and only 6k trailer? you do know your f250 is just a tad bit over weight at 11.5k!!! but your gross combo rating is 20k i believe.

try bumping down to the 40 tune, that should help with the egt's, 80 tune is just a wee bit high for that weight, unless you get an intercooler, or water injection.

also, i think 24 psi at that rpm and load is just alittle bit low. but i have never ran a tn turbo. whats the max boost you can build?? do you have a boost fooler of some type? a couple of psi more could also help you to cool down alittle.

#6 ·
??? do you have an exhaust system "aftermarket" 3.5 down pipe, 4. inch back from the down pipe???

#7 ·
I must have missed it, but 11.5k sounds a little heavy my duallys right around 8k

you should definately change the tune though, I grossed 26K with my setup in 20T and didn't have any egt problems on grades the turbo surging was a different story

#8 ·
my 99 F250 sits around 7k i agree the 11k is a bit high.

#9 ·
I have driven a truck with stage I's I beleive and it had a H2e in it. 6 speed to anywho on some big grades out in WV I was in the 80 tow and would keep it in 6th and see 1100 maybe 1150 tops with my foot to the floor pulling a trailer that was 10K empty.

#10 ·
well I gained a litttle weight since my sig. I put a 3500 lbs camper in the bed also. My last weigh in was 21K. Well I know I could back the tune down a little but who wants that. So let me get this strait, the more boost you can hold the more an intercooler will help. How much help are we talking. 50* or 200*. I already have the stock 6.0 intercooler in it. I just want this thing to tow 65mph on what ever grade it is on.

#11 ·
also when I put my camper on I drop it down to the 60 tow tune.

#12 ·
I dont know what to suggest because I know the 6.0 liter intercooler is better then the 7.3. I find that weird that your EGTs are that bad. That truck I was talking about in my last post grossed at around 25-30K and the EGTs were not bad at all. Never had to back out of it in the 80 tune and it had bigger injectors. What is the max boost you can get out of your truck? Do you have a overboost releif valve thing for your truck cuz if not then that could be why. It would be holding you back from getting over that 25 PSI with ease. I would check for little leaks like a crack in a boot or bad doughnuts on the up pipes.

#13 ·
Yes I have an overboost on it and I can get 28 PSI out of it. It has 130K on the truck do you think injectors are getting it warm?

#14 ·
I agree a hellman intercooler through Dieselinnovations, or a Spearco from Blackwidowdiesel, Deeds performance, etc will really help your EGT's, about 200-250* is what i would expect towing balls-to-the-wall like that... Water injection would also be another option but that requires maintenance like refilling that tank all the time when you're towing.

#15 ·
Do you have acsess to a scan tool of some kind? I'm curious to see what your HPOP pressures are a WOT. If your HPOP can't keep up, your EGTs will be high and power will be down. might be money better spent on a Stealth stage 1 than another intercooler. Barney

#19 ·
ha ha, my buddys I tow with are Dodge guys and I like to lead the pack, my egts are holding me back

#18 ·
Thanks I dont have a scan tool but mabie I could get a shop to scan it. Is it easy to do?

#20 ·
If I have low HPOP pressure wouldn't the money be better spent on some stage 1 or 2 single shot injecters?

#21 ·
NOPE... still need oil for those too and the stage 2 will really get even hotter if you have low pressure.

Just log your pressures under the conditions you describe and under sustained conditions of your towing you will see your IPR duty cycle keep climbing with no rise in pressure if you system has some issues.....

#22 ·
single shots will only mask the problem in my optinion. remember the HPOP/fuel inj relationship. every lb of HPOP pressure is multiplied 7 times at the injectors. Example:: if your tuner is requesting 3200-3400 psi and the HPOP is only able to maintain 1750 psi, you actual fuel inj pressure is 12,250 psi not the 22,400-23,800 the tuner wants. the net result is less fuel atomizatiom and incomplete combustion. bigger drops of fuel are harder to ignite than small ones. It will also lead to higher exhaust temps as this raw fuel is now in the exhaust and still trying to burn. bottom line, more smoke less power. besides if memory serves me, a new stealth stage 1 is alot cheaper than a new set of injectors. Just my opinion based on experience. Barney

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.