Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Well, it's been real gents.

7K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  one2nine 
#1 ·
Picked up my 2011 F-250 CCSD in August of 2010. Over the course of the past 2 years, I've put 45k miles on it and did a bit of 'modding'. Unfortunately, after two years of ownership, I'm trading in the truck in a week for a 2010 CCSD PSD. While there is no denying that the 6.7 is the most refined SD yet, it's just not a power platform. And when you want to make power, the money needed to build the motor is an easy five digits. My hope is that in a few years, the tuners will really be on the ball with DPF on tuning seeing as the EPA is really going hard on DPF-off tuning.

['11 250 CCSD]

['10 250 CCSD]

Best of luck to the 6.7 owners!

See less See more
#3 ·
Man I figured people would be more inclined to move to the 6.7 with the offoad tunning taking a hit right now. given the power the 6.7 has in stock form. I was impressed when I mashed the pedal the other day to pass somebody and I came from a highly modded 6.4

#4 ·
Honestly, I've had one of the highest power DPF-On tunes (IDP custom with Torq2.1) and it was great. However, it's known that the 6.7 really can't handle more than 450-500hp on a stock bottom end. Whereas the 6.4 is good for 8-900 on the stock bottom end. It was also a logical choice as the payment is cheaper as is the insurance.

Btw, the new truck is a single turbo conversion with a bullseye s466. ;)

#7 ·
Thanks!

I'd be stuck with the 6.7 I would take to big a hit after only paying for 2 years since I would have to do the 5 year loan

The reason I don't have one is the reason your selling yours however
Actually, I didn't take too big a hit (10k) and the dealer was able to let me take all my parts off of the 6.7 (probably 5k in parts). Thus, I'll be able to sell a lot of what I have to offset the cost.

#9 ·
It's really not too bad considering everything in the equation. My truck is an XLT with a few bells and whistles. I never had the air conditioned seats or center console. My job involves towing, hauling and moving parts non-stop so I never saw the benefit in owning a loaded truck. My job also allows me to get great discounts on parts so I prefer the more stripped down trucks because I do a lot of modding and changing of parts.

The new truck has:

Bullseye S466 Single Turbo Conversion
5" V-Band piping
EGR Delete
Mishimoto FMIC
Mishimoto Radiator
MBRP 5" exhaust
Upgraded nozzles
Recon Lighting
2.5" Leveling kit
22" American Force Wheels
AMP Steps
Bed liner
Tinted Windows
Custom IDP Tune Package

It's plenty for me and I'll just add a few things here and there.

#11 ·
Nice looking truck.

#13 ·
I won't say "I told you so"...
And you don't have to apologize ;).
In the end, the 6.4L is still the king of kings, and there will never be another engine like it..

Look, were all Ford fans, but horsepower is like money.
It's easier to live a lifetime totally broke than it is to once have money, and then not.
There simply isn't a cup holder or a cute cartoon dash LCD crap worth trading off 1/3 of your torque for, no matter what the sheep say.....

The Ford dealer across the street from my business offered me a solid 35K for my 08' off of invoice and any incentives available for a 13' Platinum. I would have driven my truck for 5 years for less than 10K...
I just couldn't do it.
14' may be in play if some sorely needed engine changes are made...

Good luck with the 10'. She's going to be great..

#14 ·
Wow George, that's probably the most levelheaded and nice thing I've seen you say here on PSN.

While I will miss some things about my 2011, I will not miss the lack of power. At the end of the day, despite the problems, the 6.4 is still going to be the power plant of choice.

For me it came down to the fact that I wanted a truck with over 1000rwtq and I didn't want to use H&S. Furthermore, I didn't want to push too much power or boost because the 6.7 is known to blow apart. At the end of the day, the 6.4 is where the power is and it comes in the form of either the twin turbo or the single turbo.

If you look at the market trends, the 6.4's are gaining in value whereas the 6.7's are dropping significantly in value. I got out while I still had a chance to get good money for my 6.7.

#22 ·
That 6.4 looks sick, hope you don't plan on towing with that single though. I'm running a single on mine and it rips flat out, towing though is not its forte how ever compared to the stock turbos or even upgraded stock turbos. Also with the upgraded nozzles your going to want to address the LPFS as well as the HPFP to keep rail pressure in check.

Single = Speed, Power , Fun and better Sound

Stock = better towing hands down

#23 ·
#27 ·
The stock pump will be fine for 20% (which is what the truck has). It's when you start pushing more fuel and using bigger nozzles i.e. 60%, that you need to add dual fueling. Eric @ IDP and I have chatted ad nauseam about this.

#29 ·
Eric, while I do understand your general concern and truly appreciate you looking out for me and my truck, I think we should really cover the basics so that we're all on the same page.

When you say that a 60hp tip will not keep up rail pressure and will basically outflow the stock pump, you are in fact both right and wrong.

Nozzles are not measured in HP they're measured in percentages such as 20%, 30%, 60%, etc. This percentage correlates with the percentage LARGER than stock. For example, my 6.4 is running 20% nozzles and that means that the nozzles are 20% LARGER than the stock size. The stock fuel system will definitely keep up with 20% nozzles. The 6.4 will definitely NOT keep up with 60% nozzles, maybe that's what you meant? That is most certainly dual fueling territory.

For lack of a longer explanation, you can't really rate a tip to an actual horsepower figure as that is really going to vary with each setup and each application. Hence why nozzles are measured by a percentage.

Furthermore, this truck isn't the only truck with this exact setup. This is one of many trucks with this setup. The truck was built in conjunction with MPD and IDP. The truck has a custom tune and has had the fueling monitored from start to finish with no rail pressure drop across the board at all.

#30 ·
I'm aware of that, how ever not every manufacture or supplier measures the tip size in %, some use HP some use LPM and so on. I might be mistaken but I think the 15-20% is about the same as the 60-80 hp some advertise. How ever it translates you will have trouble keeping rail pressure up on the large tunes in anything 60hp and equivalent in % or LMP.

I just hate to see someone go through all this work to have it not live up to their expectations. I know Eric can write you a tune that will maintain RP but he will be pulling back PW to do so and then negating the point of doing a larger nozzle in the first place. Not trying to discourage you in anyway from your build just trying to let know.

Thanks and GLWTB

#32 ·
You can run 30% injectors on a stock pump. Pulsewidth is lowered slightly and railpressure climbs right back up to the equivalent of a stock nozzle.

For comparison, a Xtreme Race tune with stock nozzles and a single S466 will make 623rwhp. The Xtreme Street with 30% nozzles and the same turbo will make 678rwhp.

For the H&S, you just run the Mild and you'll make more power with the 30's than stock injectors on the Wild.

It's all in the tuning...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.