Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

99 F350 front springs worn out?

4K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  sniper_101 
#1 ·
What should stock front leafs look like? mine are flat as the truck sits, no bow at all, should they be this way or not? I have looked at other super dutys in the junkyard and all i have seen the springs look the same and all of my buddies who have super dutys are all lifted so they have aftermarket springs. I want to replace my front leafs with the heavy service ones rated at 3000lbs a peice. from what I gather stock springs on the F350 are 2400-2600lb springs? any information is much appreciated.

Rock

#2 ·
Their fine...and will give the best ride quality. You can use a hanger kit to level.
X codes will get aprox 2" of lift but will be a little stiffer.
Both ways will need a adj track bar to recenter the axle and you should plan on longer shocks.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply bro, like I said I wasn't sure what they should look like. This is my first Super Duty, first diesel, so I am learning alot along the way. Just trying to make sure I didn't have a worn out front end. My truck is a 99 and has 294k on the clock, most of which it has had a big ranch hand bumper on it.

#4 ·
So another question I have is you say my front springs are fine, now measured on level ground to top of the wheel arch is 44" in the rear and 39.25" in the front. What should the distances be? and what is the easiest way to level my truck? X-codes and then a hanger kit? or can I use after market springs? Rough Country makes 4" lift springs for a good price. But I am afraid those would put me up higher in the front than in the back. Any information is much appreaciated.

Rock

#5 ·
Use a hanger kit will get you the best ride quality.
Door sticker under spr will tell you the spring code.
if your springs are 3000ea they are X codes
2600 ea are V's and will drop the front aprox 2"

If you want the front measurement even with the back use a 4.5" hanger kit.

PM me if I can help with choosing the correct parts needed.

#6 ·
ok, so irregardless of ride quality, what are the spring supposed to look like? so them appearing flat or with a ever so slight reverse bow is correct? or it gives the best ride quality? and 4.5" difference between the front and rear height to wheel arch is right or it is easily fixed by a 4.5" hanger kit? I want to do whats correct to the vehicle not what "rides good" or what not. I know what parts are needed in a correct suspension with correct geometry, it is the vehicle specific knowledge I need not in general this is "what works" and this is what doesnt

Rock

#7 ·
Just put BDS leveling springs in the front of my 00' F350, sits pretty much perfectly level with the stock rear block. Rides noticeably better than my flat V-codes did, but I'm also running Bilstein 5100's now.

#10 ·
I forget exactly what my heights were, but the front was about 37-38", and the rear was 42'ish. Now all four corners are within 1/2 of eachother.

I'll post up some before and after side pictures for you a little later today.

Also, the BDS stuff has probably the best warranty you can ask for. You break it, they replace it, so that helped sway my business in their direction.

20121118-IMG_8363 by sniper_101, on Flickr

20121121-IMG_8390 by sniper_101, on Flickr

#12 ·
Sorry for the delay on the pics, I completely forgot to update you. Anyway, after having the new front leaf's for a few weeks now I'm very pleased.

Here is a before, as you can see, the front was sitting significantly lower that back, 4-5":

This is an after, but there is about 6-700lbs of stuff in the bed, and the rear bags @ 25psi, so the rear in these pics is about 1/2" lower than it sits empty. Empty it's within a 1/2" of the front, I'm very pleased with that!

20121205-IMG_8456-2 by sniper_101, on Flickr

20121207-20121207-IMG_8468-2-rs by sniper_101, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.