Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

2000 Excursion Steering Box Adjustment

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  zx800x 
#1 ·
My 2000 PSD 7.3 4WD Excursion with 195K miles has a chitload of play in the steering wheel.

The ball joints, hub bearings, steering arm/drag link and Pitman Arm are relatively new and I have confirmed the components beyond the steering box to be in good condition and DEFINITELY NOT the reason for the wander and play. Therefore, I am CERTAIN the problem is in the steering box and/or input coupler.

I'm not in a position to replace the steering box and coupler right away. So the question I have is, when I adjust the box how many turns do I start with? I think I've read that 1 to 1 1/4 turns is about it?

Is there anything else I should know about this particular model?

As always, thanks in advance for taking the time to respond.

#2 ·
Try a 1/4 turn at a time. Too much and your steering will not return to center on its own.

#3 ·
Do some searching its the suspension that makes them feel loose in the front. I just bought a 2000 with about 188,000 on the clock. Lokked it over all the front end stuff had been replaced ball joints, steering parts etc, and still loose feel. Adjusted the sector and it helped just a wee little bit. But it did not fix the loose wandery feel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.