Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Watts link

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  GCncsuHD 
#1 ·
Why is the watts link not used on a front solid axle.

#2 ·
My guess. Money. Potentially more difficult to make the steering operate without bump steer/ steering wheel movement through suspension cycling.

#7 ·
If the current style of drag link is used connecting the pitman arm to the passenger side of the steering system, there will be bump steer.

The axle has to travel in the same arc as the steering linkage or vise versa.
This, as he mentioned, it is more expensive, it would possibly cause clearance issues with other components, and it would cause bump steer since the axle would move straight up and down, but the steering would move in an arc still because of the drag link. Ideally you want the same angle and length on the panhard and the draglink to avoid this.

#3 ·
So, by having the axle in a straight line of travel up and down it creates bump steer?

#4 ·
If the current style of drag link is used connecting the pitman arm to the passenger side of the steering system, there will be bump steer.

The axle has to travel in the same arc as the steering linkage or vise versa.

#5 ·
I plan on putting HE7 airbag w 4 link suspension on the front with factory ride heights. The air bag is 7" wide at inflation. Clearance that I have is 11.5" tire to frame (11" if using wider tires) I believe it will still clear if I go with a standard panhard arm. Thanks for the info.

#6 ·
Cool project. Put up some pictures of it while putting it together or when its done.

If you havent, search out the air ride projects from member Me2. Maybe you can get some ideas based on what he uses for bags to get the best ride possible. Some of his info is on the army and I think some is here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.