Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Head stud install step by step

20K views 48 replies 10 participants last post by  04 f350 
#1 ·
I'm goin to go ahead and order the head stud kit off line and my brother and I are gonna go ahead and do this ourselves, so here's the question, I know there are probly alot of threads on this already but I want a detailed desription of how to install head studs on my truck, I have no blown head gaskets right now and truck runs awesome just for peace of mind I wanna go ahead and do it, I have I'm gonna do them one at a time, so I wanna know what all I have to remove to do this, if I need to replace anything, what torque procedures to use and basically anythin I need to know to get this done! Thanks guys

#2 ·
why does everybody want to do studs one at a time. i mean with most engines you are gonna have pretty much everything off of the engine in order to get to the heads so you can get the bolts out and studs in, so why not take the extra bit of time, take the heads off, get them checked out, then do new gaskets and do it the "correct" way.

not trying to bash you or anybody that does it this way, just doesn't make sense to me.

#13 ·
do you drive a 6.0? do you have anything to contribute that will help this man put studs on his truck? in case you didnt know which you clearly dont.. the entire motor or even close does not have to come apart to put a set of studs on a 6.0. There are TONS of people that do it one at a time for a reason. Becuase it is easier and NOT neccesary to disassemble the entire motor just to do studs. Can you not read? did you miss the part where he said his truck runs perfectly fine with no head gasket issues? breaking the seal on a set of factory head gaskets is a BIG deal to some people and avioded for good reason.

#3 ·
I don't know ? and why does a new post come up every time ?
there must be a tone of info By now on the one at a time method and one of the top 3 diesel magz just did a cab ARP install with actually removing the heads and doing it the proper way

#5 ·
I torque them 100, 150, 200, 245ft lbs these days step by step its a lot to be honest few tips when you take things off place them in boxes, anything intake related, turbo etc. Also your push rods need to go bck in the same place, place the valve train in the same order they came out as well. Also use a lil grease on top of the valves where the rocker arms sit. Keep the push rods oiled.

#6 ·
Thanks rescue at least your reply is beneficial, I thought this site was suppose to be here to help ppl, sounds like ppl just wanna complain about how this is the wrong way and so on....I don't get it, if u don't wanna help then don't reply pretty much, I understand the whole takin the heads off and doing it the "right" way but if it ain't broke don't fix it, at least I got one helpful reply outta that

#7 ·
Well only problem is you really don't know if your gaskets are blown to be honest. May run great mine did to up to the point it let loose with a small sign of white smoke at start up. Only puked at WOT, the guys saying doing it the right way will just save you the headache and money to do it again. That's all.

#8 ·
Oh I completely understand what ur saying, I have yet to see any puking and any smoke(other than the kind u get when u mash on it) and i can be rough on it somtimes, but I've heard of alot of ppl doing it this way and it working so I'm gonna give it a shot, if it works then I'm good to go, and if not then oh well ya know, next time I'll replace the gaskets, I'm lookin at this as an opportunity to work on my truck and get some know how on it, your post was very helpful tho, that's somthin I wouldnt have know about doing till now

#11 ·
is the hanes manual right ? I bought one looked at it for a minute and never opened it again it had so many General procedures that weren't truck specific I couldn't stand it

I also have have all data and Mitchell's online it's a little better but nothing beats the ford OEM 3 book set for real procedures

#14 ·
Yea and honestly I figure if I'm not having hg issues right now I don't see pullin a gasket out that is fine, not to mention if I were to take the head off I run the risk of not getting it sealed back properly....all I wanted was to just hear some thoughts about how to and if anybody had done it like this and ran into a problem that could possibly help me out and I should look for, everybody has their opinion but this is the way Im gonna do it so unless u can help me like the couple of ppl that have replied then don't bother with the telling me what I'm doing is wrong

#16 ·
So basically does eveything need to come out driver and passenger side to be able to do this? I was thinkin yea since u have to be able to get somthing down into the motor where the back head bolts are and still have room to get the torque wrench in

#22 ·
Good alternate method

pulling the motor is what i see a lot of guys do but you need a good engine stand and an HVAC evac recharge ,, might use that money for a topside creeper or head gaskets cough

but then you don't need the 55 dollar snap on adapter for the rear stud

#23 ·
For the back stud/bolt I used a junk air hammer bit and welded a plate to it to reform that corner of the firewall.

#28 ·
Oh and I didn't say anything to zmann because he drives a 6.0 LOL and for that he can say whatever he wants on the matter. Ill never give you a hard time in the IDI section that I promise

#31 ·

I can be dik thats for sure! IDI? LOL when the zombies come ill be ready..

#32 ·
LOL
Is this what the guys looking for? In a step by step as far as one at a time
1. Remove degas bottle
2. Remove intake
3. Remove ficm
4. Remove glow plug module
5. Remove remove valve covers
6. Remove oil rails
7. Do the studs one at a time, if room is an issue i hear a nice dent in the firewall works, our take out the trans mount and let the whole engine and tranny tilt back maybe jack it up i really dont remember how people are doing it.

I know i probably forgot something like the turbo idr if that would need to come out our not or injectors and so on and so on but thats a broad look at what needs to come off, its really not that much to remove, if you do it one at a time method.... But im sure someone else could fill in some blanks im missing.

#35 ·
Oh you didn't offend me at all, I know there are a ton of threads on this I guess I wanted somebody to go into a little more detail for me since this will be the first time I would be dismantling my truck for somthin like this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.