Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Ex lift

5K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  vr4tune 
#1 ·
Ok so i searched for a good hour not finding what i want. I am buying a 04 ex and i have a set of 37" toyo's on 20" rims off my 08. I relies i will need new rims but how much lift would i need to clear the 37" tires. I also am thinking about selling them and going back to 35" how much lift would that take? I do do some towing once and a while and i do have a 8 1/2 wetern v plow i will be using in the winter. What brand lift should i be looking at? Will i need air bags on the front? Thanks for all the info in advance.

#3 ·
A lift on an Excursion is 2" less then a pickup lift... so if you order a 4" pickup lift its a 6" Excursion lift...

My wifes has 6" lifted springs on her Excursion to clear 37's... To that I ended up adding a 1" shackle lift so it would not rub on the rear of the front fenders.

#17 ·
Do you have any pics and what wheels are you running width and back spacing? Also what kind of lift kit did you buy are you happy with it? One more thing will it fit in a standard 2 car garage do you know the height of it by chance. Sorry for all the questions.

#5 ·
Yes.

A 4" F250 lift is a 6" Excursion lift...

#6 ·
I tried 6" with 37's and i had a slight rub and the tire was stuffed in the wheel well. I went back to a 8" as i prefer theat stance.
As far as plowing, What brand of plow? The best setup i have found so far is to run a Western Uni Mount blade with a Ultra mount truck side mount. Then you need a uni to ultra adapter. You just flip the brackets upside down on the adapter and 6" with stock tires has the blade at the perfect height.

#7 ·
That is about what i have found some are good on 6" and some need more. What brand would you look at for a good ride and towing every once and a while and reasonable priced.

#8 ·
If you are looking for ride quality. ICON hands down. If you are looking for price you are going to sacrifice the ride. ICON with the Deaver springs will provide the best ride. The deaver pack is 12 thin leafs vs most of the competitors using a 5-6 leaf pack. Shocks like a ICON or Bilstein. I am not sure if ICON has started clear powder coat on thier shocks. The last set i bought were not and were ruined in 1 Chicago winter. I know BDS sells the identical shock with a clear powdercoat.
There you go. My 2 cents worth. I have been a ICON/ DR user since 2003 and have no regrets.

#9 ·
Ya i had a set of blistens on my 08 for a year and a half and they looked like they where 10 years old.

#11 ·
Really thinking about building a custom air ride setup. Anyone know of any good links or anyone that has done this?

#14 ·
If you have the coin, Keldermann has the air ride kit. I'm looking to clear 37s with cutouts and b and v codes. I want my center of gravity lower than an all lift to clear those tires. My ex spends a fair amount of time off the beatin path.

#16 ·
Does anyone have a chart on the springs as to what spring will give you what lift on a ex? Has anyone used any of the drop hangers?

#19 ·
I deffinately agree ICON seems to be one of the better built lifts available if not the best but I was on a tight budget so I went with Rough Country Excursion 5" Lift and Installed it myself. I've put about 25k miles on it so far and all in all its been a good lift so far, I have 22x11 with 5.02" backspacing wrapped in 37' Toyo MTs. I had to remove the lower valance and I still rub just a bit which I could remedy if I cut the about 1/2" of the back lower edge off the bumper. My ride quality deffinately improved over the stock suspension. A few people have commented that they were surprised at how well it rides. I'd still like to ride in one with the ICON lift. I have thought about adding a 1" shackle lift but I'm torn between more lift and too much space between the rubber and the fender.

#20 ·
I deffinately agree ICON seems to be one of the better built lifts available if not the best but I was on a tight budget so I went with Rough Country Excursion 5" Lift and Installed it myself. I've put about 25k miles on it so far and all in all its been a good lift so far, I have 22x11 with 5.02" backspacing wrapped in 37' Toyo MTs. I had to remove the lower valance and I still rub just a bit which I could remedy if I cut the about 1/2" of the back lower edge off the bumper. My ride quality deffinately improved over the stock suspension. A few people have commented that they were surprised at how well it rides. I'd still like to ride in one with the ICON lift. I have thought about adding a 1" shackle lift but I'm torn between more lift and too much space between the rubber and the fender.
Looks good to me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.