Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.0 hellllllppppppppppp asap!!

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  stroked99_1/2 
#1 ·
i have a 2005 f-250 recently took it to shop cause of leaking head gaskets.. doing flo pro egr delte oem head gaskets, arp studs and 190 cc in jectors.. when removed the heads sent them to shop n found out both are cracked.so ordered new ones..then after all this get a call back they say my block looks good other then a few rough spots on the bottom sides of the cylinders..and told me it wold cost additional 4300 to redo the block and new pistons and ect ect. basically i dont have the extra at this time....so wondern if nebody else has had this issue and went ahead and cleaned it best they could and put back together... please give me some feedback asap!!:shrug::doh:

#2 ·
I'd need to see pictures of the rough spots, but as long as the deck is flat you'll probably be ok leaving the "rough spots".

#4 ·
I'm confused as to where exactly you are talking about. The deck is the top block surface. Is the rough area on the deck or inside the cylinder?

#8 ·
im sure its fine, by the sounds of it either your wording it wrong (which is understandable and we just cant clairify with you) or they dont know what they are talkin about. put it back together and drive it! it will be fine unless its really bad but i would think if it was that bad the motor would be pretty trashed

#10 ·
Pics would be best. I think I get it now, there is a ring around the cylinder on the deck that is a bit corroded, it is the area that the gasket is not in contact with although some pitting may have worked under the gasket surface.

Unless it's pretty ugly and extends under the gasket surface I'm sure it will be fine. Just buff the area, make sure the deck is flat and you should be good. I've seen some really ugly/damaged parts/surfaces in engines that ran fine.

#11 ·
IMHO do not put the engine back together without decking the block. I went through this and did it right. If the HG's have been "Out" for awhile you have pitted the deck and if it is not addressed you won't get the new HG's to hold. Again IMHO take the injector money and deck the block. I took it one step further and had the engine put back together and all of the piston heights documented then dissassembled and the pistons were sent out to be cut to lower the compression to stock after decking both the heads and block. Almost all heads on a 6.0 will have cracks from the GP hole to the valve seat so it was good that you took care to get new heads. I had mine rebuilt but it is about the same. Also make sure to deck the new heads as bone stock heads from Ford have been known to not be very flat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.