Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Switch on lights, the truck dies...

6K views 56 replies 18 participants last post by  Gotti2k7 
#1 ·
Okay today I installed a set of HID's, they work fine, but as soon as I turn on the truck and switch the lights on it kills the motor.

I'm thinking ground issue so i'm going to try grounding the HID's to the battery. Any other ideas?

#4 ·
Take a look at the size of the wire coming off the ALT. , now ask your self the question do think I can sqweeze enough power through that little wire to run all this crap on my truck, lOL. I think at somepoint your saking alot of the main feed from the ALT to the battery, and I would ground all the extra componets you add better than the norm. Just remember what goes in must come out ,though it might be smaller, still has to have a place to go.

Dan

#6 ·
\ I installed a set of pia lights on the front of my truck and after intstaling the new light s i turned them on with the truck running .. evrything was ok. but when i cycled the lights off and on 2 times the truck shut down. I have the lights connected directly to the batt. w/ a switch and relay. WHY???:confused:

#8 ·
Flush the toilet while your wife is in the shower and see what happens, LOL.

Dan

#21 ·
You should have a relay for each HID. The factory HL feed should just switch the relay and the relay power and ground should come from the battery.

I have 50watt HIDs and 50watt HID driving lights wired this way. I have never had a problem w/ them.

Good luck!

#12 ·
i have the same problem with my hids they also mess up the radio. i tried moving the ballast away from the battery on the driver side and that seems to help. i havent had it shut down since then. the hids are only 35watts running power but to ignite then takes more power so that could be causing it.

#20 ·
Im guessing the ones with radio noise didnt go with the digital ballast kit?

#24 ·
dude, is it that much trouble to try running the truck without the chip.... I'm not talking out of my butt here... if that is the issue there is a way around it. I have issues like this before with chips similar to the ones DP uses, I use the same manufacturer on some gas cars that have an issue with HIDs....

#26 ·
I have this problem. My light switch is right next to my DP tuners (wires are overlapping in spots) and I believe it's related to this . I need to untangle and reroute. Is your switch near your DP switch? Does your Dp go blank when this happens?

#32 ·
okay, made the relay harness today and it didn't make any difference. Pulled my DP chip and everything works fine.

So Matt you were right...so any ideas on how to solve this quickly as I leave tues AM for a 3000 mile trip

#35 ·
so any ideas on how to solve this quickly as I leave tues AM for a 3000 mile trip
Pull the rebased bulbs and put in your old OEM bulbs for the trip. Chip would be more useful for goin' down the road than the HID bulbs, IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.