Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Tires...

15K views 83 replies 20 participants last post by  leojr 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I haven't personally run them, but a guy that used to come into the 4-wheel drive shop I used to work at in Georgia used to run them on his mid-90's Chevy crew cab. At the time, they were about the only 37" radial with the load rating he needed for pulling the trailers he had, and I think overall he was satisfied with them. They wore like iron (for a mud terrain), and they weren't terribly noisy. However, I do know that he said he noticed a definite increase in the harshness of the ride with those over th 35" BFG MT's he was running before. Are you looking to go to these for the cheap price, or is there something about your Toyo's you're not loving anymore?

Good looking wheels by the way. Is that a one-off set that guy has, or does he have more?

#5 ·
Love the Toyo MT's... However just looking to save money. $417 a tire now is alot, I can buy 4 of these for that price.

Wheels are coated, not sure where he got them. Had another set on CL a few months ago, but they were for OBS 8 lug.

They last forever. But theyre Heavy as fuk.
Heavy as compared to what?

Running 37's now so...

#3 ·
They last forever. But theyre Heavy as fuk.

#8 ·
I think I am... I have a family member back in Indiana that rebuilds army trucks and such and may be able to get me some cheaper then that...

CC Equipment

#7 ·
i ran those exact tires, they worked fine for me,didn't do well in sand yet most tires don't on a heavy truck

the ride is more rough if you almost max the air be cause there thick as hell

but i never had problems

#12 ·
Ya well...

You have an OBS...LOL

There a dime a dozen for the OBS trucks... Those wheels powder coated looked slick as hell, just wont fit my truck.

#14 ·
SD and OBS have a different bolt pattern.

#15 ·
Yup OBS is 8 x 6.5 SD 8x170

#17 ·
The first several years of the SD it was really common to see American Eagle and Weld wheels in 16.5" with 8x170. I sold a ton of them from the 4x shop I worked at in Georgia when the '99 SD came out. I'd think you could find them pretty often on CL, or ebay.

#18 ·
Been looking...

I have a line on a set, just need to find Steven a spare.

But I am not a fan of the set he has...

#19 ·
#21 ·
I run them on my 05. I got 25k miles out of em with out rotating them. My 6.0 would break the tires loose if I hammered on it below 45MPH. And I did that a lot. They are radial as you already know, but I had no complaints from em. Especially for 250.00 a set. I think its a hell of an investment. I still have the lift, wheels and tires from my 05, but I would rather have the milage, so I am not running a lift or bigger tires on my 08, or I would keep running them. Now with all that being said, the 36" are a different story They rode kinda rough, BUT if your truck sits for a few days and then you start driving it agian, it feels like your tires are square. No complaints at all on the 37s though. Do it!

#24 ·
Picked up a set of wheels on CL... Cleaned them up and ordered the tires last Wednesday.

Going to cost me a total of $800-900 mounted, balanced and such, but that beats $1800 for a set of Toyo MT's...

Next time I will only be in it the cost of the tires and mounting, so about $700...

Goodyear Tire Radial 37x12.50R16.5 Take Offs

$400 for the tires and $200 for shipping. Need to find a better shipping quote, that seems high but...

Attachments

#25 ·
been thinking about a set of these for my old beater GMC, I already have the wheels. did you order the goodyears, and how did they look? price is great for what I want them for, I got plenty of lift to run them, just a little gun shy of used stuff online that I can't see before I send off my $$$

#26 ·
They will be here today. Out for delivery now.

#27 ·

Loaded up and dropped off at Les Schwabs. Go back in 30 minutes or so to throw them on.

They looked good, no casting issues, no tread issues. See how they run.

#28 ·
they look pretty good, are they sold by the military and then repaired and resold, or just good excess tires being sold?

#29 ·
I dont understand why they do it, but they remove them from service after 18 months and sell them at auction.

Not a damn thing wrong with them as far as I can tell.

#30 ·

They got them mounted this morning, guess it just took a guy that wanted to do it.

There load range D rated, about 60# each or so... There lighter then the Toyo's I believe.

As to first impressions... There not Toyo's. Got a hop that I am hoping is just from there being parked or something. Going to give them a few days and then rotate them.

Could also be one of the wheels, it had some damage around the lug area that I repaired.

They sure seem small, but there a bit taller then the wore out Toyo's.

#31 ·
Let me know how you like them, comfort or a rough ride isn't much of an issue, I just need safe tires, I commute Tooele to Salt Lake and when I'm on call I sometimes need to move a little over the speed limit. The price sounds great for what you got, I was just worried about defects, blowing one at 80+ would be kinda bad...
I have the buckshots off my F350 on it right now, but when the snow starts to stick they are going to make for an interesting drive

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.