Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

HYDRAULIC ASSIST

6K views 27 replies 11 participants last post by  Aaron S 
#1 ·
was going to put dual stabilizers on but have decided on running hydro assist anyone have any exact measurments on where to drill and tap the gearbox? i found this but not sure if its the same as a 2006? Ram Assist Steering 99 Ford Super Duty - Pirate4x4.Com thanks for any and all help.

#3 ·
yeah i've cosidered them. but i really enjoy doing things myself. but if i can't come up with something they'll be getting it. on the bright side they have a 3 day turn around. how has it worked for you and what was your reason for it?

#4 ·
It is the only thing I've never did myself lol I did it because I needed new stabilizers and didn't like the look of them anyway and i was planning on running 15.50 wide tires and wanted to make sure I could turn them. But it made the steering much more responsive, great mod!

#5 ·
Once i swapped from 39.5" tires to these 43" it started wanting to wander down the road. it wants to follow the bumps and dips in the road now instead of tracking straight. it gets a bit agrivating trying to keep it straight i think this will be better than dual stabilizers. gotta crazy question though does the wheel still try to straighten itself when coming out of a turn? (never had anything like this on a truck) thanks for the help/advice.

#7 ·
West Texas turned mine around in 48 hours. Great service there! As 07 said, it helps tremendously with taming the wider tires. I love driving mine on the highway now, where as before it was exhausting having to constantly correct things. Also as 07 said, it will straighten itself out coming out of a corner, but not as much. The extra caster helps. It's a little more darty on the highway when switching lanes too, but once you get used to it then you'll be very happy with it.

#10 ·
Either of you guys have a picture of your setup??

#19 ·

Auto part Brake Vehicle brake Tire Automotive wheel system
[/ATTACH]

Here are photos of my PSC setup. The system works fantastic. I have had it on the truck for about a year. You don't really notice any difference in the way it drives other than you can turn the wheels while it's stopped. The whole kit was very reasonable and i haven't had any problems at all. I would have done the update earlier but i was waiting for PSC to come up with the mounts. With their system you do not need a steering stabilizer as the the Ram acts as one.

Good luck

#11 ·
ya i am looking into hydro assist as well since my stock gearbox is going bad

#12 ·
I was able to retain my dual stabilizer set up. I don't think it's very darty, but definitely quicker lane changes with the hydro assist.

Attachments

#14 ·
I'm not sure which part you are asking about. Are you talking about on the part near the 3 u-bolts that hold the steering stabilizers on?

#24 ·
Last time I talked to them was maybe six months ago. After installing thier cylinder and ported box, the steering was to slow and gutless at low idle, almost dangerous at times. It was recomended to drill out the outlet fitting on the pump, and it worked well enough for me to leave it alone for now.

It seemed like I had to get the right guy on the phone to even recomend thier pump/ resivoir setup as a potential solution.

For the record, im running a 05 steering box. Shouldnt make any difference mechanicaly but you never know. I know I liked the way the 02 box worked better.

#28 ·
I dont know all the logic behind the ram being a stabilizer or not.

I do know that Marty at truck toyz has recomended to run a stabilizer with a ram assist. If he recomends it than it is probably necessary.

One thing I can state as a fact about my PSC box and ram setup. There is little to no restriction in the steering box preventing oil in the cylinder from returning to the resivoir. I can disconnect the the rod end of the cylinder from its mount and compress it or extend it fairly easily. The fact that I can do this prevents it from performing any shock or stabilizer type duties.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.