Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Real-Time 05+ Coil Spring Supension Conversion with PICS!

26K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  g2shuck 
#1 ·
I'm not a pro mechanic by any means but I think this will be a pretty easy project to do at home.

I got this donor chassis here:

It's an '06 F350 DRW Ambulance that rolled over in an accident with 16k miles on the clock.

Got it for $1,250:rockwoot:

Its good bits will be going into this:

This is my 03 F350 with P-Pump 12v Cummins Conversion AND a 5R110 to ZF6 conversion. Not really looking forward to having my driveshafts resized for the THIRD time but whatevs.

My 03 has 140k on it, stuff's wearing out so I'd rather replace with cheap new oem than repair old oem.

I have yet to find a nice picture thread of the 05+ coil conversion so here we go. Should be fun. I welcome every bit of advice I can get from you pros out there! I'll be figuring it out as I go so any info will help.

Thanks in advance for any and all contributions (please try to keep this thread positive and productive).

And I PROMISE to put up tons of pics, every step of the way!

Sean

See less See more
#5 ·
For some reason the forum won't let me edit my last post but to clarify:

The 06 axles are 4.10s and the 03s are 3.73s so I was going to put the rear axle in as well instead of swapping gears in my old one.

From what I gather the front is no big deal to get to the 8x170 bolt pattern, but is it possible to convert the rear? I'm only really concerned about the bolt pattern, not so much with spacers to make the axles the same width.

#6 ·
When I did it I wasn't able to use hubs the rotors or the calipers, though I wad converting mine from a 2wd. But I do know for a fact that the hubs are different.

#7 ·
good luck and you will love the coils i converted my 03 X to 06 suspension all way around with 08 leafs in rear rides so smooth and turns flawlessly. only problem i had was drill bits to enlarge holes and drill new ones they burn out fast and aren't sharp any more besides that it all bolted and went in with ease.

#8 ·
I
Its good bits will be going into this:

This is my 03 F350 with P-Pump 12v Cummins Conversion AND a 5R110 to ZF6 conversion.
Nice friggin truck. Nice project. Sub'd for the fun of it.

FWIW, its not too hard to replace those coils with air bags.

#9 ·
Man to bad you weren't closer I would trade you my 3.73 axles for those 4.10s... Lol

#14 ·

Getting started stripping the ambulance frame. Front axle is out, no big problems as far as that goes, an impact wrench helps a bunch. The shocks spin when you try to impact them off but there is a bolt head built into the shaft on the under side of the frame and you can get a crescent wrench in there to hold it as you spin the nut off. There's also a big 30mm bolt holding the panhard (I think that's what it's called) bar onto the driver's side of the frame, it took two people in my case, we used a big crescent on one side to hold it and a huge 3/4" drive ratchet on the other and it came loose finally. I don't know the names of all the steering bars yet but the bar that comes off the steering box connects to a rod that goes down to the axle. The bolt at that junction is covered by some weird twelve point cover, take that off and I think the nut underneath was 18mm. Once the nut was off it took a bit of hammering and prying to get that joint apart.

Working on trying to get the rivets out for the radius arm mounts and spring cup mounts, any tips? We tried burning the rivets out with a torch and grinding the heads off as well, some are loose but we are unable to pound them out with a hammer and punch so far.

Should have more updates soon.

#17 ·
Cut the front off to give us more room to walk around the front of it, it barely fits in my garage.

But we will be chopping the whole frame into 3ft sections so I can sell it to the scrap yard as "prepared steel" for a higher price.

I'll put the rear axle and all associated pieces up for sale, heads up if any of you guys want it, just PM me and I'll throw it on a pallet and ship it to ya.

#18 ·
For the rivets. Snapons air chisel with thier bits cut through them in seconds at 150 psi air pressure. Just have to hit them at the correct angle. Hearing protection is important too.

#19 ·
Thanks for the tip. I did some digging since i still wasn't having any luck and thats what all the old muscle car restorers were saying. I ordered one this afternoon, should have it tuesday. I may try blowing holes through a couple rivets with the torch steelworker style and see where that gets me. Either way ill update with progress.

Any other tips from anyone?

Thanks again

#22 ·
Whose suspension do you plan to run on the front of the truck?

#26 ·
This is just a money issue for me at the moment. Eventually, or now if I can somehow scrounge the money, I want a 4.5" lift long-travel system up front. Probably with the dynatrac combo kit because it will eventually have 42" tires with bushwhacker cutouts like Tanks250.

I'm undecided on the system, talked a bit with the head honcho (forget his name) at Full Traction and also have a PM sent off to OBSWIZ to get his input, any input from you guys is more than welcome. Keep in mind I want a performance suspension, not just a lift.

This is being built as an expedition/overland type rig. With the Ford chassis, Cummins engine, 6-speed, 42"s, and my countless list of ridiculously expensive mods it will basically be the ultimate truck in my opinion. So keep that in mind as well, the big tires are for ground clearance due to the long wheelbase, low lift for low center of gravity, this is totally performance oriented, no mall crawling.

#24 ·
So here's what's left of it so far:

The rivets were really fighting me. I didn't score them with a grinder because my buddy borrowed mine. Ended up getting all the rivets off the passenger side coil bucket and the damn thing still wouldn't come off. We beat on it while prying and loosened it a bit but were starting to do damage so I called it quits and just continued cutting chunks out of the frame to get this thing off to the scrap yard.

I don't know why I'm having so much trouble with these rivets, driving me nuts. Drilling takes forever, I will try scoring and chiseling the other side, hopefully it won't be too hard now that that section is cut off the frame and I'll be able to position it.

#27 ·
Use your cutting torch to get the rivets Hot and then hit them with the the air hammer. I used the regular torch tip but I wasn't getting enough heat. The air hammer is way easier than knocking them out with a hammer and punch. Good luck

#28 ·
If money isnt a limiting factor then one of Carlis suspensions kit with and Icon four link is probably going to be the best performing setup. It also runs at 4.5 inches of lift. Next in line would be all Icon suspension or Pure Performance parts.

#29 ·
Why are you not using the 06 rear axle? From what I understand it drops in place even easier than the front with little to no extra work/fab. You want (and by the sound of those 42"s) need the 4.10, so why not throw that on there too?

As for your question about the brakes, hubs etc... The 05-07 and 99-04 have different brakes and hubs, so those will not swap over. The wheels will "fit" because they both use the same bolt pattern, but the offset is different.

#31 ·
correct, 99 newer are all 8x170 however they changed the offset in 05 with the coil spring so ill bet your rear tires on your 02 sit different than your old axle, otherwise they are the same, also something to keep in mind is 05+ has larger brakes and different calipers, 99-04 can run a 16" wheel, to my knowledge you min wheel size on 05+ is 17"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.