Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Anything special to R&R a e4OD?

3K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Rjmorrow 
#1 ·
Next month I'll need to remove and replace my trans. Anything I need to know? Anything tips or tricks?

Also, is there a pan with a drain plug that will fit without spending all the extra money for an increased capacity aluminum pan?

Plan is to do it on my shop floor, no lift just a trans jack.

#2 ·
More than likely you will need to lift the truck just to get the trans out on the jack. You will not have enough clearance under the frame rail.

IIRC the 4wds have the drain plug in them, maybe it is just the SDs

#4 ·
My 1997 f350 4x4 has a drain plug in the stock pan. makes life alot easier

#7 ·
Place the trans jack half on the crossmember and half on the trans pan, it balances well there. Lower tyhe whole thing: trans, t-case, crossmember. Then you have to get the tranny on the ground to slide if out if the truck is on the ground. The top of the bellhousing should pass right behind the rear leaf mount if it's a 4x4. Mine's on 285s and had about 1/2-1 inch of clearance to the frame.

#8 ·
I think I would separate the transfer case from the trans if I was doing mine. I di that myself working on the garage floor before. It is a heavy bastard but doable. I really like the U-shaped adapter BTS uses to support the trans on pan rails only. The SD pan is the one with the drain plug.

#10 ·
I would get an aftermarket trans pan before getting a Ford pan. The aftermarket pans are flat and balance the trans better.

I'm with Brad on removing the transfer case first. I am currently in the process of removing my trans. I had to stop, need a hand removing the transfer case.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

#11 ·
Interesting photo with the extensions to lift your truck with traction bars on there. i had wondered about that before.

#12 ·
Yea, the extensions are made out 2.5" round steel stock. I guess you can stop wondering. LOL

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

#13 ·
Hahahah, I was wondering if my truck would even work on a lift.

#15 ·
LOL.....I did not empty my rolling oil drain bucket. I stacked milk crates under the trans, placed a 5 gal bucket in crate and drained the trans fluid. So can see the yellow 5 gal bucket in the crate.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

#16 ·
I did my 4x2 on jackstands. I had to pull the front wheel to be able to roll the trans out from under the truck on a floor jack with a homemade cradle. The high part of the bellhousing wouldn't clear the running board otherwise. I could have put it higher on the stands, but then my jack wouldn't raise high enough to reach the trans in the truck.

Ford sells a factory pan with a drain plug, it's 4x4 depth so you need to use the longer 4x4 filter. Takes the elastomeric gasket. I think I posted the part number in my trans build thread. There's a pic of the cradle I made to hold the trans on the jack also.

#17 ·
I did this two years ago on a 4X4 with no lift. I did not remove the transfer case (and I would never do it that way again!- That combo is heavy!) I had a low profile tranny jack and I raised the truck onto large jack stands before attempting to pull tranny out from under frame rail (after I had the tranny on the jack and disconnected from truck). I located a stock size pan with a drain plug from Jasper. My biggest problem was I did all of this by myself and on the re-install it was difficult to get the trans to bolt up while holding the tailshaft down to get correct alignment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.