Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

6.7 and towing

8K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  geared_low550 
#1 ·
looking at getting a 2013 ( cant find a 12 the way i want it) but are the 331 gears ok for towing 14k or do i need to get 4x4 so i can get better gearing? 355 or 373
so tell me how your set-ups are doing.

#4 ·
I orderd a 2012 XLT yesterday
f-250 4x4 ( had to do the 4x4 to get the 355)
10.000 tow package
camper package ( had to do the 4x4 to get the 355)
hope it gets here before my trip in OCT
any brake in before towing ??

#5 ·
with the 10,000 lb and camper package combined will i need air bag with to keep the truck lever ( so i dont blind on coming traffic) with my GN @ 12,000lbs?
It's going to be close to my trip when the truck gets here , so if I need them I wont have much time to order them.

#7 ·
Need is a tricky word, do you "need" airbags to pull? No, however the enhanced ride and unbeatable stability they will give you makes them well worth the money, just make sure you valve them separately or you will be in a world of trouble, don't ask how I know.

#6 ·
Pull a 36 foot gooseneck enclosed, around 10-11K loaded. Have. 2010 a F-250 FX4 with 3.31 and 35 inch tires. 95% of the time it is my daily driver, if I pulled much more I'd want 3.55 or 3.73 gears.

#9 ·
Yea I just would like to get it to ride at the correct height so my light s are not blinding oncoming traffic. So you are saying to get the duel gauges (front to rear since I have not fond one that keeps each sides that way) and run one bag to each gauge to keep them separated?

#11 ·
#12 ·
Make sure each bag has its own fill and dump valve because otherwise you can go into a turn with a heavy load and the weight can force air out of one bag and into the other blowing the bag, its not a fun experience.

#13 ·
Well I got the bags installed .after fighting with the DS mount trying to get the top bolt started I found I had to remove the spare tire so I could get the room needed to get up and see and get the Bolt started amongst the wire harness. And why air lift want you to drill the goose neck mount ( on a no drill kit) when if they would have just send a second ½ x 1-1/4 ( instead of the 1-1/2) bolt and said to add an extra washer you have just enough room to bolt thee top brackets. Without drilling ! (Witch I did) and don’t forget to wire tie the wires and brake lines out of the way too.

#22 ·
Other than the install, are you still happy with the bags?

#14 ·
How's it's tow with the 3.55 I haven't towed with mine yet and probly will not till spring but you never know

#15 ·
3:55's are great and I still get about 16.8 mpg unloaded. My trailer must be Real nose heavy! I need about 80 psi to get the rear close to normal height.

Attachments

#16 ·
Cool It might be nose heavy? I'm wishing for good MPG towing this time around

#18 ·
Heck I've only moved thr 5er around the drive way. I've pulled my enclosed trailer 5 miles and the truck didn't even notce. Last year pulling the enclosed @ 60 mph with the 6.4 I only got 10.5 MPG on a 150 mile trip. With my 5er i only got 10.2 lots of trips. Both with delete and tune :doh: So I'm wishing for better

#19 ·
It will all depend on how you drive, the power band and the trans combo are like night and day to my old truck.

#20 ·
Usualy around 65 MPH if it don't kill me MPG wise.

#21 ·
Anyone add traction bars with air bags? I feel a little axle wrap when fully loaded . the bags helped a lot with my load. my trailer is a bit nose heavy I run 80 psi in the bags.

#23 ·
Yes it makes a big improvement in handling with the trailer loaded. And keeps the headlight where they need to be at night.
I added the wireless compressor set-up and glade I did. I mounted it in my tool box.to keep it out of the weather. I also put a rubber pad to insulate the noise, it was a big help.

Attachments

#26 ·
What air compressor system you use???

#24 ·
Well I install my air bags the outher day thinks for the tip on the shorter bolt and washers. Had to grind just a little off the nut to fit on mine.

#29 ·
Cratos, I've considered trac bars on my dually also. Towing some weight you can feel it wrap up a bit when you have to get going from a dead stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.