Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Feels like im driving on a washboard??

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Evil Diesel 
#1 ·
I just got a 01 F350 7.3 for a steal. When i got it from the adult "kid" that had it he had installed a 12" lift on the front. The next week i took the lift off a put a 4" on it and installed a track bar because he had took it off when he put the lift on(yea i know) and added the track bar bracket "riser" on the axle side. All it does is slide in the existing bracket and bolts in the original tracker mounting hole and rises up about 2" with a mounting hole for the track bar. Well everything has been fine for about a week until yesterday when i reinstalled the front driveshaft he had taken out because of all the lift. so i put on my new ujoint straps and tightened everything up and when for a test drive. When i hit any hole or dip in the road i would get this vibration in the front end and it really feels like your driving on a washboard dirt road or the shoulder of the highway. So i had a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth while i looked at the front end and noticed my track bar was loose so i tightened everything up with an impact and then a 3' breaker bar cause i know they are spec'd at 406 ft lbs. Even with all this it still does it just not as easy. I have to be moving around 40 and hit a hole or dip for it to start doing it and it doesn't quit until i come to a complete stop. Can someone try and help me figure this out. Im just confused cause it didnt do this at all until i installed the drive shaft. Thanks

#2 ·
I just took the front driveshaft out and everything just stopped, drive down the road smooth with no vibrations or strange feelings. I did notice that the rubber seal that goes around my passenger side axle shaft on the back side of the hub/spindle is just hanging where it goes in the hub, could that have something to do with it? Even if it isnt can someone tell me what that seal is called?

#3 ·
What u r referring to is the alxe tube outer dust seal. It just prevents crap from getting into ur axle tube. Definitely not causing ur problem. Put ur drive shaft back in and have someone drive ur truck forward while u watch the front axle shafts. With the truck in 2wd and the hubs unlocked the axle shafts shouldn't be turning. If they r u have a bad locking hub. That can cause some vibration while driving.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.