Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Help a Marine get a lift

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  NCSU dirt man 
#1 ·
Not sure where to post this but here it goes. My Nephew is a Marine deployed in Afghanistan. He has a 2003 Chevy Dmax that he wanted to lift when he gets home. My sister and her husband have decided to lift it as a surprise for him. I told them I would buy the wheels and tires as a gift for him. So, now my question. Who makes a good 6" lift for Chevy's? Thanks for all answers.

#4 ·
There are a few companies that make good ones can't think of names off had. Just make sure to upgrade the steering components as I know those are the weak links.

#6 ·
I'll second that. I ran an RCD kit with Bilsteins on my 03 2500 Suburban for 8 years and it was great. Yes, you will run through ball joints, unit bearings, and steering components, but not excessively. Probably every 50K miles or so you might have to redo one or two of those items.

FWIW, my mechanic has installed several different manufacturer's lift kits for Chevies (Rancho, Fabtech, ProComp, Sky Jacker), and he said that the build quality of the RCD was far and above the best out of all of them.

#8 ·
look into the zone offroad lift. my buddy owns a offroad shop and recommends it. Stay away from fabtech, rough country

BDS is also good.

best is cognito and CST

regardless of which lift i highly recommend the cognito tie rods and idler support

#11 ·
regardless of which lift i highly recommend the cognito tie rods and idler support
I did this on my Suburban with the RCD lift after the first time I had to replace those, and it was trouble free from then on. Still had to replace the unit bearings on the front every 50K miles or so though. I concur on the cognito accessories, but still like RCD for the lift. Cognito is probably equally good, I just haven't ever seen one in person.

#12 ·
I'll second the BDS. I love their new high mount torsion bar kits. No more ugly bars hanging under the truck. Their kits are also easier on the front end with the new knuckle keeping the steering in the factory position.
Plus their lifetime warranty is by far one of the best.

#14 ·
Cognito hands down. it's probably one of the best kits you can buy for any chevy with IFS suspension. seriously the old Z71 i have, i kick myself every time i have to drive it for going cheap. Cognito may cost $2500 for the front alone, but it'll be the least hassle you'll ever have outta all kits. Full Throttle Suspension is another good company too that has great performance and ride but it's a little flashier looking IMHO than the Cognito its. driven a NNBS 1500 silverado with 37's and a 6" BDS which is good too but i honestly don't think it's on the same level of performance or ride as either of the aforementioned companies. but it's definitely nothing to sneeze at either

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.