Bent push rod/ broken rocker - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.0L Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:03 AM
smokie07
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Cool Bent push rod/ broken rocker

Ok guys I have a bent rid and broken rocker arm on cyl 2! I was told it had low compression on this cyl but pulled valve cover and found this so should I just fix these and recheck compression or just go ahead and pull heads
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM
Strokin450
Real Trucks Rattle!
Member's Gallery

Send a message via Yahoo to Strokin450
Re: Bent push rod/ broken rocker

I had one go out in my mustang, I played it safe and pulled the heads because you have no idea what else could be wrong. Better to play it safe and just have it at least checked.
96 F250 ECLB Intercooler Mod, , 3" downpipe--> 4" straight pipe, 1.1 A/R housing, TS TW tunes, Skyjacker all 4 corners, Maximum boost/pyro/trans gauges, Ion wheels/Nitto tires,Banks trans command, TQ and Valve body upgrades, 160k

2008 CRF-450R- It's a HONDA but still wish it was diesel

2006 Honda Rincon 680 mud machine
Reply With Quote Go to the top
Old 08-13-2012, 09:57 PM
CTC DEEZUL
Hood Rich
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to CTC DEEZUL

tap the valve with a hammer, I bet its damn near seized

Local 444- Rolling Coal Teamsters
via Beans Toonz
DI SS Up-Pipe
GTP38R
Old 08-13-2012, 10:10 PM
IHPowerstroke7.3
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Gotta be a reason why the pushrod bent, I agree with ctc deezul I would make sure you don't have a stuck seized valve. I wouldn't pull the heads until you know the valve is stuck. I have seen pushrods bend for no reason. I'm guessing its intake side since you said it was low on compression?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:46 PM
codykthekilla
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

you better hope its not a lifter issue or you might be pulling that engine to put a new cam in.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:57 PM
IHPowerstroke7.3
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Usually a broken lifter will either not open the valve or keep the valve open depending on where it is stuck. However an easy way to check this, use a good pushrod, put it in the lifter and either have a friend bump the key over or with the key off, unplug the starter wire ( Right hand fender by vacuum reservoir) and put it to the positive and bump it over. Hold a little tension on the end of the pushrod with your finger (BE CAREFUL) and watch the pushrod to make sure it is moving up and down. If you're unsure of the movement, compare it to the next known good cylinder. If it doesn't move at all, make sure you have it seated correctly. If is is, bad news.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 PM
lenzhotrod
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

That was going to be my question, Why do the pushrods bend on these 6.0's? I see alot from bad install after removal other than that, why? Most common are siezed valves or a floated valve, but what are most people finding on these? And as said earlier I hope it is not a lifter.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:08 AM
CTC DEEZUL
Hood Rich
Member's Gallery

Send a message via AIM to CTC DEEZUL

I have only come across one bent pushrod and broken rocker arm. It was due to a guide freezing up. It was on a manual trans truck that is heavily over loaded. These things in manual form are easy to over rev so I assume that was the main cause
Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 AM
smokie07
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC DEEZUL View Post
I have only come across one bent pushrod and broken rocker arm. It was due to a guide freezing up. It was on a manual trans truck that is heavily over loaded. These things in manual form are easy to over rev so I assume that was the main cause
Mine is a f350 flatbed and it came from a lease return from a construction company out of Louisville ky so I bet it's had the guts pulled out of it
Old 08-14-2012, 09:33 AM
smokie07
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTC DEEZUL View Post
tap the valve with a hammer, I bet its damn near seized
First time messing with heads do valves go up or down to open?

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 84
01Stroker4x4, 04 f350, 10speedster, 1fstdsl, 2005stroker, 2eagles, 6.0FORET, 79fummins, 808-6OH, 96F350Kid, Agjake11, alalhunter, amdriven2liv, ARCTICCAT, bartmanone, BET22857, BIGN, birddog55, bismic1, blackqball, Carry Big Stick, codykthekilla, CTC DEEZUL, Dane1985, DeadBlow, DieselDZ, dieselman1074, dieselman81, dogmaticus, douglash, drh4250, DSGDB6.0, georgia diesel, golfer, hawkeye, hill_billiez, Hunter'97, Ignorant1, IHPowerstroke7.3, IIvonnyII, injected79, JD F350, JHill, jsm180, justind, justintimemoto, keep'erpinned, KPSquared, ksieckmann, ktmrydr686, Low Key, lubeowner, Mhatlen, mx185sw, NickHilbert, no-tel-in, NVJAY775, ole_blu, powerstrokedkid87, pwrstrk6.0, Quadzilla500Dad, rentstdi, SaNnDnSurF, semomotorsports, Six Liter, slippydaman, slutz4, smokie07, sonnyy13n, SPE, strokethis06, Strokin450, SuperBlazin, t4050nh, tatertot, thorguy57, truckguy876, Tucker1, webb06, wheelnrock, Youngwvcoalroller, zdot500