Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

My idea of the redesigned 14' or 15' Super Duty.

15K views 45 replies 22 participants last post by  buildingup 
#1 ·
My idea of what Ford should do.

6.7L:
Fix it right, with better internal parts or die with a bad reputation. End of story.

Transmission:
GM is rumored to be adding as many as 8 speeds with their next generation trucks. Can that many parts fit in a tranny case and still be bulletproof?
I am guessing a manual transmission will also return.

Drivetrain:
Personally, I like everything about the toughness of the current drive train, but I think weight will have to play in to the picture.
Hopefully this is not an area that will be compromised.

Styling:
Time to fire the designers who should be Dodge employees.
I think the Wagon Queen Family Truckster styling of the 11' and above chrome snout has to finally stop growing like a wart on a hog, and start looking like something that fits the truck, instead of fitting a perceived illusion of bigger is better. I personally couldn't own a truck that looks like this. Kudos to the guys who have made the truck look hot again by painting the grille surround the same color as the body. That is a much cleaner and classier look, and should have been the stock choice from Ford. I am guessing a front end grille that is more aero and less 11'+ Super Duty

I think the cab and box is still far and away the best part of the truck, but after 15 years, it's time to leave 1998 behind, that is unless you want to look 25 years dated. I would stretch the cab out 4" and lower the top an inch or so and give it a more aero look. The windshield will have a better angle of attack and should help with mileage. The side windows will be slightly shorter and give a sportier look. I also expect all body parts, except for the bed floor to be stamped from weight saving aluminum. LED exterior and interior lighting should take the place of incandescent.

Interior:
Give these designers a raise. They keep getting it right, and I know the next gen truck will be even better. I love the Platinum idea of a higher grade for those like me who buy these trucks instead of a luxury car. BTW, walk in to the exterior designers office and tell the guy who designed the tail gate of the Platinum series that he isn't invited to the next Christmas party..
The only problem I have it the leather on the steering wheel. It wears out quicker and collects dirt and grime ten times faster than the one on my GM trucks. Besides that, keep up the good work.

My guess is Ford will be releasing a new model as a 15'MY in the spring of 14' and I think weight savings will be a huge part of the new truck, but where else to save it without becoming a GM?

See less See more
#2 ·
HA! I thought you were going to show a picture of a '14 Silverado.

#3 ·
Couldn't agree more and add some more warranty to them. Also make the front end grease able. What do you think about carbon fiber instead of stamped aluminum?

#4 ·
Non-grease joints seems to be the trend.
I just took delivery of a 12' John Deere 3720 to replace my 05' 3720, and there is nothing to grease anymore except the rear draft links. The whole steering linkage is sealed...
I couldn't believe my eyes. When a John Deere comes sealed, I doubt we'll ever see anything else come with zirks.

Hell yeah, I would love to see carbon fiber everything, but I doubt we'll ever see it on a Ford.

#5 ·
Don't mix and match metals for the body. If its already steel, keep it all steel. If its aluminum leave it aluminum. Dissimilar metals is bad. Oxidation/rust will be horrible in a few years.

#8 ·
Not if it's joined correctly. There are tone of steel aluminum applications together on the market today, and they are simply separated by a gasket. I see aluminum body panels, but I don't see an aluminum bed floor. Who knows, maybe a tempered aluminum floor...

#6 ·
Dodge is getting an 8 speed this year, not sure if its the 1500 or hd though.

Need a cab/rear end body re-design badly, been looking at the same rear end too long now.

#7 ·
It's only going in a couple of cars right now, from what I could find. But I'm sure it will make its way to the truck world very soon. The one that they are using is said to only handle 516 foot pounds of torque. I was thinking that they could come with some kind of cvt transmissions like a lot of these tractors are getting.

#10 ·
A couple of hi up Ford reps in my area have been talking about no more diesels in the future, and not like 20 years future but sooner than you think

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#11 ·
Wouldn't surprise me. IMO its gonna get to a point where the emissions standards will be damn near impossible to meet and they'll just kill off diesels except in the 450's+.

#12 ·
There has been talks of a 750 twin turbo Eco boost to go in the sd's but I doubt it will be unvailed with that much HP

Sent from my ADR6350 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#13 ·
Whats the point? I doubt that will get better mpg then a diesel

#14 ·
There is absolutely NO way Ford, GM or Dodge stops offering a diesel engine. In fact, expect more in the future.
Ram Light Duty Diesel Pickup Prototype Caught At The Diesel Pump - Rumor Central

No matter how you cut it, diesel still offers the most torque' power and economy of any engine at a low RPM, and people buy them. There will be more emission equipment technology to deal with the EPA, and a gasoline engine just doesn't have the mustard when it comes to torque unless wound out to ungodly high RPMS.

#15 ·
So you're telling me that Ford is going to stop selling diesels when they make up probably 75% or more(this is just from my head, too lazy to look up the real figures) of their truck sales? Somebody in marketing needs his ass fired and blacklisted from the auto industry if that's true.

#21 ·
I agree. I'll take longer, but don't lower the damn interior height. They keep shrinking the height on vehicles, and I can't drive them without my head hitting the damn roof! I used to be a Suburban man, but my head literally rubs the headliner in the '07+ suburbans now. Not that I planned on going back to them, but that was just another nail in the coffin as far as I was concerned. I love the size of the driver cockpit area in my Excursion. It's way more spacious than Chevy. Way better than Dodge too. I hate getting into Dodge trucks. Always hit my damn head on the A-pillar. Frickin doors are too short (front to back), and the roof line is low. I guess it's the sloped windshield that adds to that problem as well.

#18 ·
I know no one can be 100%, but how sure are you that there will be a redeisgn coming soon. I know its due but that doesn't guarantee anything. Just wondering if I should trade this year or wait for the redesigned SD.

#19 ·
With GM redesigning their line up, and Dodge doing the same, I would have to think Ford needs to come out with something new, other than the same 15 year old design with an even bigger nose. You know all of the magazines will be all over the GM, so Ford HAS to answer with something new take back the headlines..
Don't get me wrong, it's still far and away the best looking rig available, but jeez, I would think Ford has a little talent in their design department to actually do a new cab and box redesign before the rapture happens...

#22 ·
maybe we could get lucky and theyll make a cab to compete with a Mega Cab, except a real usable bed.
i would also like to see some different comfort options inside...
the center console is a monster, why not incorporate a cooler into the cupholder area...
also a factory option for rear dvd players via headrests, what good is my dvd player if my girls cant watch it on a roadtrip?
also i have heard dodge has a heated or cooled steering wheel? why not us?
i would also like to see the rear seats in a CC go back to the legroom in the older SD's. the seats seem to keep creeping forward for some reason.
and for chits and giggles, why not an f4/550 that could top that ram long hauler concept truck....i think ford needs to beat them to the production on something aimed at the hauling market.

#23 ·
Imagine 2030.
There are a lot of different ways to skin a cat. Remember this current truck has had a 15 year run. This next re-design may potentially carry Ford into 2030. The truck will have to be designed to carry a modern look, weight cutting measures, along with future fuel efficiency mandates in mind..

I still think you will see the cab height cut down.
One, to achieve a different look.
Two, one inch+ out of the air means lower drag.
And three, although the cab height may be cut, I see the floor pan changing to something deeper to give even higher interior head clearances.

#24 ·
Im calling a hovercraft with a giant dome. Seats 10-15. And runs on your own farts.

If were going to 2030

#26 ·
In my personal opinion, I hope Ford ditches their bigger is better chrome nose and take a cue from the car designers.

The new Mustang is said to be ditching the retro thing and going with a new look similar to the Fusion and the Taurus.
I personally would like to see something that uses this styling cue, except trucked up a little.. A little more "hot rod" rather than the current "Family Truckster" look.

#27 ·
I've not been a big fan of the grill on the 08-current trucks. 05-07 looked good....and then apparently some thugs from the hood killed Ford's design team and took over.....bling bling bling.

#30 ·
hahaha i feel the same way, tooooo much chrome :doh:

And im sorry, I like the 08-10 trucks better than the new ones but ford need to go back and brainstorm more on the 05-07 trucks with the comforts of the new ones, a new cab configuration, new door handles, longer cab

#28 ·
1. Use Excursion sized rear doors on the Crew Cabs. They already have the tooling. Along with these slightly bigger doors extend the cab about half the distance past them as the Mega Cabs'.

2. Do not lower the roof line, Some of us need that height.

3. Cab is large, reasonably quiet, and has parts availability, why do a major overhaul on it?

4. Get rid of the chrome monstrosity that is the nose.

5. Get rid of the bugs before they hit the dealer. $50k+ working trucks should not have to go back for computer reflashes 3 times in the first year of ownership.

6. Look at a Z spring and airbag rear suspension for the DRW 350's and heavier. The snesor suite is there, and the electrical air systems are getting rather good, throw some OEM level R&D money at them and they should be gtg.

7. Offer a plain working truck package pickup, not c&c. I know a lot of folks buy these as luxury rides, but many of us run them in environments that a hose is the proper tool for precleaning the floors.

#29 ·
What it they put air ride on the cab? I would think that would be the easiest way to make it ride like a dream. Also if you are going to make the seats a/c cooled I want them to blow hard enough to make my pants move.

#31 ·
Pork Chop Diaries 2012: 'Where it makes sense'

I see it happening sooner rather than later.
Why? Because great men will make it happen in spite of our Government.

The 6.7L may be blueprinted for future considerations of using LNG, and that could be some of the reasoning for lighter internal rotating parts.
Mix in some of the fuel saving measures of a lighter weight truck, aerodynamics and reduced undercarriage wind resistance, along with an engine that is capable to run on a cheaper and plentiful fuel.. It might be the next big option/engine configuration for the 14'-15' Ford Super Duty.
Imagine a truck that costs 30% less to operate?

#32 ·
If such is the case, would you be willing to buy it knowing that the engine can't tolerate 600 HP and 1200 TQ but does get outstanding mileage? I know power adders has been an important option for you.

For me personally, I don't really need a truck that can run 12's....my stock 5.8 has been fast enough for me. 400/800 would be good enough for me if I'm getting 20 mpg highway.

#34 ·
It's not about running 12's. I've never raced my truck in my life. It's about having 1,200 lbs of torque at you tippy toes...

No matter how you cut it, this is what the auto makers will be building to meet coming mileage mandates.

#36 ·
While I would love to see a clean sheet exterior redesign on the body lines, it scares me that there is the chance that they could goof it up. Man these trucks still have great looking bodies. I have faith in Ford's design team these days with all the good looking cars they are pumping out. I have deep down inside thought the front ends were too much also, but when I park my white 09 next to a guy at works white 11, I then feel that my headlights look too small and dont help to fill out the rest of the truck like his does. Maybe I'm crazy, but thats just me. The KR front ends look amazing on the current trucks in my opinion. As far as options go on the redesigns, I would like to see them offer two or three seperate suspension packages on the SRW trucks. A soft one like the current setup, a medium, and a stiff suspension package for guys who tow and haul with them. Or better yet, offer an air ride setup like its rumored Ram will be getting in '14. I could see why they wouldn't though because guys would just put 5k worth of tongue weight on the trucks and hit the level button and ride. An in-dash EGT guage would be sweet also. I have faith they will knock it out of the park. Coming home from vacation from St. Augustine yesterday, I couldn't believe the number of 6.7's on the road compared to the competition. Ford has always had a good thing going with the SD platform. If I worked there, it would be my goal to get the market share back to where it was in the 7.3 days. They have some tough competition from GM and Ram now compared to then though.
:ford:

#38 ·
A ScanGauge II (OBD II scanner that also displays pretty much every value that the PCM reads) can display three different EGTs on the 6.4L: Before Catalyst, After Catalyst, After DPF. The ScanGauge II retails for about $159. Plug it in to your OBD II port and that's it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.