Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

10 hours in my clutch change.....still not done. Advice?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  TBarrsTruck 
#1 ·
Well I am in no way a experienced machanic. I do #### myself because I cant afford to pay someone to do it. Got the old clutch out,new flywheel etc all on. Just having ALOT of trouble stabbing back in. Anyone thats done one before have any advice a novice could use?:confused:

#3 ·
:whs:

And an articulating transmission jack makes it easier. They can be rented from most local rental shops for $30 a day.

#7 ·
X2 on the sling. I used 3 straps. Never even dropped it out of the truck.

Strap it with 2 pieces of plywood 1/2" thick x 12" wide stacked on top of eachother under it, but on top of the straps. Then you can slide it back and forth.

Just lay it under the truck with the 3 straps and plywood under it. Hook them to the frame and start ratcheting up. When you run out of room on the straps, loosen them 1 at a time and pull up the slack. That way you always have at least 2 supporting it.

Then when you get to reconnecting, you can tilt it using the straps to get it to line up.

My old man taught me this method on the side of the road when the only truck we had shed a clutch disc. Too broke for the tow 160mi back home.
Hitched a ride into town bought a disc and hitched back to the truck.

6hrs later we were back on the road. Necessity is the mother of invention, and that's how I still pull them to this day.

#6 ·
ive gotten lucky with having it in gear,pushing it in and turning the out put until it clicks in to the splines,then laying on my back behind the tranny and using my feet on either side of trans to wiggle and push it in,just be sure your close on height and angle and she will pop in

#8 ·
Get a couple of bolts the same diameter and thread as the mounting bolts, which are a few inches longer. Cut the hex heads off of them, thread them into the back of the block and use them as guide pins to align the trans/bellhousing to the block. If that alignment is correct the only thing really to line up is the splines on the input shaft which you can turn via the output if the trans is in gear.

#9 ·
The way csp is saying has been by far the best method I have found. I usually grind the end with the head cut off into a bullet shape just to clean it up and make getting them started easier. If you put them across from each other it also give you a good side to side visual reference. Good Luck.

#10 ·
Well,trans is in! Finally. But now I have a new problem. Started the truck in gear,hear a pop then clinging sounds. Looked underneath the clutch fork had popped outta place,the slave cylinder blew apart in two pieces and a shinny new snap ring was on the floor. FML

#11 ·
Did you put the pilot on wrong? Also when you tightened the clutch did you go a little at a time cris-cross pattern? I also make a triangle then the opposite triangle when tightening the bolts, by hand a turn or two at a time once it starts to load the springs then torque in the same pattern

#13 ·
Sorry meant to type throw-out bearing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.