Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

limited slip rear end

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Term3 
#1 ·
are there any drawbacks on installing a limited slip rear end in a F250? i read a few threads but don't have the time right now to search through and read all of them. just thought i would see if i could get some quick answers from all you experts. i did read about a detroit truetrac, but was not sure what the opinion was on how they affect performance. thanks in adavance. OOH RAH!

#2 ·
My vote is for the True-Trac. Good in the city and good in "most" off-road conditions. If your looking for something to lay two black stripes down the road the True-Trac is not what you want.

#3 ·
The TrueTrac has served me well in the front axle and if the factory LS goes out in the rear a TrueTrac will go in.

#5 ·
Air lockers are great but for all round driving I find them noisy and a bit annoying. If you actually do real off-road driving then I would get lockers, electronic or air, for sure.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

#7 ·
That is correct. Hence, the annoying part. Having to engage it all the time when you want good traction.

#11 ·
For me in winter by the time I would hit the switches and they actually lock up I've already done four 360's down the road. LOL

#10 ·
Not that it won't last as they're pretty much friggin bullet proof, it's just that I've found, if its on the rear, that one tire can suddenly break loose on traction and spin casing some unpredictable handling issues. I'm not sure why, it might have something to do with the way if one tire is contacting the ground and the other is off the ground in some off-road situations you loose traction.

#12 ·
What about swapping in a e locker from a 2012 truck?

#14 ·
Simpler just buy an aftermarket electronic locker that way your not having to make your own wiring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.