Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Traction Bars

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Family XJ 
#1 ·
Could someone explain to me other than what I've already researched about traction bars?

From my understanding, traction bars help with "axle wrap" and also take stress off driveshafts and transmissions when under heavy power and loads?

Has anyone made their own set of traction bars and bolted them to rear axle?

Reason I ask is I dont want to be hurting my truck by driving it around with a tuner and pushing some serious power and torque on a 6" lift and ruin a transmission or driveshaft etc...I want to do things the right way.

Thoughts.

#2 ·
Don't drive like a douche or tom petty, depending on who you talk to..
I just don't like having any smoke if I can avoid it plus the mileage drops. For DD you should be fine but they are said to smooth shifts and on tuned trucks that tow or even do some playin' around, the bars are thought to extend trans life. I'd say its a mandatory add-on for a truck that see lots of race time.

I got a set as simple insurance, 900 bucks for bars vs 3500+ for new trans plus I don't like the axle wrap when I decide to drive like sh&t.
If you can get a group buy then you can save $$ but I paid close to 900 for mine stage-2 gusseted, you can make them, materials and all for about half but you have to figure in time, mock up, etc..

Search your options, make calls and go from there.

#4 ·
pro comp i know makes some good bars?

i know they help with axel wrap, i have a 6" block lift on my 89 with a tuner and have never had problems with towing or axel wrap, thats about what i mainly tow when i tow, never had issues with tranny or drive shaft, only the carrier bearing exploded one time in vegas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.