Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

stud question

722 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  windrunner408 
#1 ·
quick question, i was reading on here and i misread something while i was torquing my first head down. what i did was torque the rocker arms down first to 23 ft lbs which raised the head up off the block alittle. then i torqued the studs down like they were suppose to be. then i realized what i did on the passenger side and i torqued the studs down then the rocker arms. my question is does it matter? i know the second way is the way to do it but will it hurt the drivers side? it seems like the gasket is the same on either side but i want to make sure while i still have it all apart. if its ok then im going to finish putting it together. i also turned the motor over by hand for awhile and made sure that i didnt bend a push rod so we are good there

#2 ·
If you have turned the motor over by hand and verified that nothing is binding, you should be good to go. I have always heard that the correct way to do it is to torque the rockerer arms down first and then do the studs and it was to prevent binding of the pushrods. So if you have verified that everything spins freely (so to speak), you should be good. I most certainly wouldnt tear it appart unless someone gave you a really good reason to. JMO and hope it helps man.

#3 ·
Yea it does! I talked to Rykan at Holderdown about it after I posted this and he also said I should be fine so I'm gonna go ahead and drop the cab. But yes the motor turns over freely and I will double check that also when I drop the cab. I'm going to take the starter wire and touch it to the battery and let it turn over just to make sure. Thanks again!

#4 ·
That sounds like a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.