AC problems! Not blowing strong. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > Super Duty 1999-Current > 6.4L Power Stroke - Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Evofit300
HTFU
Member's Gallery

AC problems! Not blowing strong.

AC system won't blow strong enough to cool the cab down. I took it in to a local mechanic and had them do an AC check. Evaporated system, recharged (was 4 oz low), tested temps (was blowing around 50 degrees), and was told to check a TSB on the DATC. Bought another DATC and plugged it in and no change, so returned it. It's blowing the same out of both sides. Not coming out of the defrost or the floor when set to front vents (just as it is supposed to).

Not sure what else it can be. You can hear it blow harder as you turn the fan up, just blows the same on high as if it were on a medium setting.

Thanks in advance for help.
Mini Maxx with DPF/EGR Delete
18" Weld Velociti with 35x12.50 Toyo Open Country MT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Evofit300
HTFU
Member's Gallery

Re: AC problems! Not blowing strong.

Have seen other problems with AC, but seems like this one isn't common. Need to figure out a direction to go next.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:50 PM
greaseltn
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

You may need to take the fan out and see if a mouse built a nest in the cage. I've seen it before, but usually on a truck that spends alot of time parked.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:39 PM
HD-tech-NH
TimmyaleX
Member's Gallery

DATC?

-2008 F-350 XLCCLBSRWZF6
-Fast Idle Switch
-5" DP back
-Innovative livewire
-No Limit
-Newton Fat Boy Traction Bars
-Ebay Leveling Kit
-ICON adj. Trac BAr
-NITTO Terra Grapplers
-Flo Pro EGR delete
-South Bend 3250
-Spartan
-Lab Pit "Stella"

Old 07-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Evofit300
HTFU
Member's Gallery

Dual Automatic Temperature Control
It's the control unit that sits below the radio.

Have recently replaced the belts, tensioner, and idler pulleys, and haven't seen any creature nests. Even sprayed out the fins on the radiator.
Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 PM
wynndaddy
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

My work truck did this and it had sucked a plastic bag up from the floor and was blocking flow . It would try to change but couldn't complete the cycle . You could hear it blowing hard behind the dash .
Old 08-07-2012, 01:49 AM
Evofit300
HTFU
Member's Gallery

I ran an inspection camera through the vents and found no obstructions .

I read that the evaporator is likely a cause in dusty areas. I bought the truck from Tennessee and there was alot of fine tan dirt in the air filter and all over the truck. So I'm assuming it would probably be beneficial to clean out the evaporator.

Here's the problem, I can't find any good instructors on how to get to it and open it up. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM
johnnyroastbeef
PSN Local
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evofit300 View Post
I ran an inspection camera through the vents and found no obstructions .

I read that the evaporator is likely a cause in dusty areas. I bought the truck from Tennessee and there was alot of fine tan dirt in the air filter and all over the truck. So I'm assuming it would probably be beneficial to clean out the evaporator.

Here's the problem, I can't find any good instructors on how to get to it and open it up. Any help would be appreciated.
did you ever figure out this issue? My AC seems to be in the same situation not blowing very hard. Just wondering if you ever fixed it and what you determined the cause to be. thanks.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:11 AM
Evofit300
HTFU
Member's Gallery

Hopefully you have fixed the problem. I haven't been on in a while. For others looking for the resolve. My evaporator was dirty.

I removed the glove box and behind it is a large black box. To save myself the trouble, I cut about a 3"x3" square in it with a razor knife. I used a/c condenser cleaner (from home depot for home a/c units). I sprayed that inside and let it sit for a couple minutes. then with a spray bottle of water rinsed it all out. Make sure it drains out of the drain tube that sits behind the air filter box. If not, stick something in there to unclog it. I cut out a piece of aluminum to cover the whole, ran a bead of silicone around it, a screwed it on. Has held up for over a year with no problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 106
01strokin, 03f250powerstroke, 03sixspeed, 086.4xcab, 44magnum, 6.4power, 8nout, aamartin89, ARCTICCAT, B. Adams, birddog55, Black 4.6 Beast, Blackharleyf250, BMFF350, bradleyscott, Brichmond, btaylor08, chris d, coopers_dad, Cowboyup, cummin5.9strokin6.0, CUMMINS_KILLA99, daddystoy, dbs0026, dburton, Deere8420, deereman, DenisTheMenace, Denver, DieselDZ, Doc_Ron, drh4250, Evofit300, flightmedic571, fordpowerf450, Gefell, goosyboy, greaseltn, harleydf250, HD-tech-NH, henline06, Honey Badger, icanski2, ikoen, Imh519, iowacornfarmer, Jameso, JD3020, JOHN BOLT, Johnny77Mutt, johnnyroastbeef, justin51986, jwatrous, KingRanch4x4/6.4, KPBJJ, LILGSX, lowbedriver, Luther's 2008, Map22, max2006, michaelelcano, Mmecsics, monjeepster, MrBill1, Mudlight, Muledude, Mustang mike 93, mydually, NickNasty18, Nomad1671, OBSpstroke97, obsstroker95, OilBoy, Pan4905, pooter, powersmokin64, powerstroke6.4, powerstrokef2fiddy, reason, RJC2, Robs94z, rock_doctor, rollininmy64, rudyfontana30, scott2001, silverstroker08, skeetreecetw, skobiak, slang23488, slyfly76, smokin99stroke, snopro_69, Stang07, Steinbrenner, stephendudra, Sti470, texasboy91, TheBeast7.3, theGreenHornet, tisbister, Tlink, Uncle Buck, whudson, Wizzard of Odds