Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

cp3 as HPOP(prob. dumd idea)

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  wannabstrokin 
#1 ·
Well sitting here working and this idea came across my mind. Im sure it will be shot down quick, which is fine. This idea just ran across my mind, not much thought has gone into this, but here goes. Would it be of any advatage to somehow utilize a CP3 as the HPOP?? Im no diesel expert but just throwing it out there. I realize the CP3 pressurizes fuel but maybe it could be de-tuned to create more pressure than a modified HPOP, but not XX,000psi that the CP3 pressurizes fuel to. Just a thought, now somebody set me straight and get my mind out of the gutter!!!

#2 ·
You would have to detune it so far that it would be point less. Also i dont think that the fuel would even flow through a HPFP. Also the money it would cost to make it work, you could just buy any after market HPOP that you wanted

#5 ·
I think you miss understood what he is asking. If you could convert an HPFP into a HPOP right. Like banshee said CP3 will only work on fuel as HPOP will only work on oil.

#8 ·
lold^^

links houstin?

#12 ·
Rethinking the idea a bit here. Searched the net and found out i aint the first to think such different things. I will say i am new to this, so more than likely ill say something out of line. What if the fluid that was used to create the injection pressure wasnt oil. Could there be a different type of fluid that would be more optimal that a CP3 would be able to handle. Kind of create a seperate fluid system with higher operating pressure that would utilize a fluid that would get through the HEUI system better. Food for thought.

#13 ·
Yes, if we could separate the HPO system from the LPO system and have it all self contained, we could run hydraulic fluid that would hold up and work much better than engine oil. But that would be a huge PITA and extremely difficult.

#15 ·
This is just stupid... Why is what you should ask yourself ?

Its so sad that this once great place used to be home to the best brightest and baddest PSD owners on the planet.

Now I come here and this is whats posted. Again why ?? Its been proven again and again that the 7.3 injectors dont respond to much over 32xx psi ICP (gains wise) And there are several pumps available that can easily supply that and more. So again WHY ?

The amount of money this would cost would be retarded. And for what

#16 ·
For a reliable hpop system that did not grenade...hmmm maybe not completely stupid, as far as the idea of catching a unicorn. But really the only place for cp3 on a powerstroke would be a cr conversion kit.

#17 ·
I have to agree with Dieselboy on this, the HEUI injectors do not work well after 3200ish psi (I think it has something to do with the poppets), so it doesn't matter what type of fluid you use.
Other than replacing the entire injection system, the only thing you can really do is totally redesign the HEUI injector. Unfortunately, unless you have a 100,000+ customer base, it would not be possible to invest that amount of money in R&D and equipment without loosing a large amount of $$.

#18 ·
Dieselboy, you should work on your communication skills. Instead of bashing the thought. Just give me the facts thats all that is needed. Im guessing you were once one of the people who thought putting a mech. injection on a PSD was a stupid idea also, probably thought that with the commonrail setup was also. I did state several times i was new to this, so you just had to demonstrate a little patience. Xphobe got the exact same message across, in a completely different manner. Thanks Xphobe.

#21 ·
Wow.... You proved your own point. Comparing a complete injection system overhaul is nothing like turning a CP3 into an HPOP... The reason the injection system gets changed is because of the limitations it has vs mechanical or common rail.

You are trying to re-invent the wheel after somone re-invented it, except you are using 2x4s in modern society.

Again why ?

BTW, you your self called it a dumb idea in your thread title... What kind of responses do you expect. On a second note, how do you expect to convert a CP3 to an HPOP when you cant spell the word Dumb(refer to thread title) ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.