Neutral Safety Switch - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Home Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum > F-250 & F-350 1986-1997 & Other Ford Trucks > 1994-1997 Power Stroke Technical Info
Register Members List Timeslips Calendar Auto Loans Sponsors Becoming a Sponsor Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

PowerStrokeNation.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Bradbilt
STILL LEARNING
Member's Gallery

Neutral Safety Switch

Anyone know what wires need to be jumped for it to be bypassed?

I am trying to figure out why the truck will not turn over with the key
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 PM
95PwrSmoke
<--BAGHDAD
Member's Gallery

Re: Neutral Safety Switch

if you havent tried this yet brad, try starting it in neutral or pull the shifter hard to the left and hold it and try starting it and let me know. my truck does this and it is do to a broken plastic bracket to the frame that my shift linkage runs through.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Agjake11
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

not sure if its the same but this worked on my 98 f150. you need to jumper the 2 wires closest to the firewall and the one furthest away of the 6 wires in the connector

04 F250 - 6.UHOH. Studded and Deleted By PSE, Fueled by Warren and Aeromotive, and Tuned by Gearhead.
08 Tacoma Work truck. V6 Power nothing, Radio, AC, and 4x4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Go to the top
Old 07-18-2012, 11:56 PM
jestersv
7.3 fan
Member's Gallery

why not pull the wires off of the trans, there are only 2 there!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:04 AM
Patrick Feeley
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

As far as I can tell, on the 6-pin connector: Pins 1 and 2 are not used. You need to jump pin 3 (White/Purple Trace) to 4 (Teal/Light Blue Trace) and pin 5 (White/Pink Trace) to 6 (Red/Light Blue) to bypass the switch. Cheers!

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW PSD, 5 Speed, 4.10 LS, SBC Con-O, Baldwin Filter, Tymar HPX Hose, 3 DP, Bilsteins, $12 AIC, Coolant Filter, Explorer O/H Console, Trans Temp, Boost, and Pyro, Pedestal Mod, Gutted EBPV
Old 07-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Bradbilt
STILL LEARNING
Member's Gallery

Neutral Safety Switch. NOT MLPS

But I figured it out, I did not put my clutch rod on right and I wasn't getting enough throw
Old 07-19-2012, 03:48 AM
madpogue
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

You had everyone cornfused, brad. On the ZF5, it's called the clutch switch, not the neutral safety switch; that only applies to the Eek4OD.

But for future reference, you jumper the two wires closest to the firewall to bypass it.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:42 PM
Patrick Feeley
PSN Veteran
Member's Gallery

My post was referring to the clutch switch. Cheers!
Old 07-19-2012, 04:36 PM
aamartin89
97 7.3
Member's Gallery

I just bought a 97 a few months ago and had a trashed clutch bushing. You essentially had to curb stomp the clutch to start it but it did fine shifting. Like they said, Under your dash theres a 6 pin connector. Clip the bottom 2 off the connector (closest to the firewall on bottom) and jump them together. Works great. You just gotta be smart enough not to try to start your truck while its in gear without the clutch in. (I still push the clutch in most times because its habit) Not a bad idea to push the clutch in for safety sake. Probably a redundant post but hope it helps......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 76
06_WhiteBull, 7.3L F-250, 72ford250, 79jasper, 95PwrSmoke, 97psd16.5mpg, aamartin89, adcausey, Agjake11, Airstreamer67, ajfetterman, AsphaltCowgirl, avenomusduck, bracketracer, Bradbilt, buckoff, bulletproof7.3, ccf350stroker, Centxdiesel, co04cobra, csp, CURTIS250, Curtsturbo331, Denver, dfghgfhj, Dirtyboy82, double-s-diesel, Driles85, dsinderson, EverettWV, FarmBoyStroker, FILDO, florida350, foxman, GASMAN6674, GavinRiepe, James W, JCart, jeichert, jestersv, joedown, Josh2021, kip4234, kodiak65, kystanger, little red rig, loudmouth, madpogue, Matt_P, MoparNut-Gone-PowerStroke, Nodge, Oakes, old man dave, Patrick Feeley, Phil@dieselcore, poon, powerstroke095, Rusty-Ford, sdm, Shovel, Skew12, smallblockfox, Smoothcriminal, stroke931, stroker1999, strokerfan, tbeckett, Texas Limo, Tom S, Truck4, tubes92, Wojo, wyoming9, Zrock