Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Steering issues

813 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  riverjet 
#1 ·
My 97 has some issues up front that I am having trouble tracking down or fixing. I replaced the driver's side outer tie rod end and it pops and grinds. I greased it real good, took it back off, worked the grease around, put it back on, greased it some more, and it still makes grinding sounds when it articulates. It's a Ford part, not aftermarket. It has a 12mo warranty, so I can just take it off and return it if necessary...

Also, my steering is sluggish. It doesn't feel loose, just unresponsive. Whether I'm driving at 35mph or 65mph it has the same sluggish response. I use the whole lane when I'm driving down the freeway. Since I use this to tow my 38' 5er I need the steering to be as tight as possible. It may never be as tight as rack and pinion, but is there an adjustment on the steering box? Oh, and I know it needs a front end alignment from the ball joint replacement, but it was that way before I changed it.

Thanks.

Chris K.

#2 ·
Fix the tie rod first.I have tried 5 ford steering gears on my truck in less than 100k. All were garbage. If you want it to feel as close to a rack as poss....get a Redhead gear.The truck now steers almost like a new gen. F150. Red head says don't ever ajust the gear. Also have your alignment guy,set the tow to the maximum positive ford spec.This helps the steering keep centered better(improves the feel).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.