Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

steering issues with 4" lift

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  NotStock 
#1 ·
I bought this 2000 superduty with a procomp 4" lift on it. It doesnt steer good at all. Its hard to steer when not moving almost like there is no power steering. Also when turning left it only turns about half way till it stops. This is a real issue since I pull a 18 ft. trailer. I had it aligned and they put new tie rod ends and new steering gear on it. It hasnt improved much at all. I also replaced the 315's that were on it with 285's with no improvement.

Any Ideas?

#2 ·
I would start by flushing out the power steering fluid with ATF and if the problem is still there throw on a new power steering pump. New pump and high pressure hose should run you under $70.

#3 ·
I agree with the above comments.

Are you saying that after replacing the steering gear box that it still dosent turn as far to the one side?

There is always a posibility you may not be able to steer the tires when sitting still. Some truck cant turn stock 265s, my truck would barely turn 285s and it would not turn 35s. There has got to be some relatively easy solution but no one seems to know what it is. The end solution always seems to be installing a ram assist setup.

Aaron

#4 ·
Do you not have a panhard bar drop bracket for the lift and the tire hitting the leaf spring as a result? You'd notices sag to one side of the truck and rubbing if so) also check your steering stops at your knuckles I've seen people try to replace them with ones too long resulting in the same problem

#5 ·
It wouldnt turn to the left before the steering box replacement. It seems to be mechanical. I turned the wheel to the left as far as it will go. Looked under the truck and the steering stops were about an inch from making contact.

The other issue is likely the pump. Its only hard to turn when stopped. My old 2000 had 315's and turned fine.

#8 ·
When the steering hits "full lock" to the left does it feel like the steering wheel is hitting a stop or the suspension? Im thinking you may have the wrong pitman arm, possibly one from an early 99. The splines are close but not right and the key ways are 45* off. This is a serious concern if that's the case. It can fail without warning and you will have no steering control.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.