Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Pull to left under WOT at highway speeds

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  you smoke 
#1 ·
I recently got a "new" truck, a 2000 F250 with 190K miles on it. It appears to have a 2.5" leveling kit on the front and a helper spring on the rear.
My problem is that under heavy acceleration at highway speeds, the truck pulls to the left. Any good ideas? u-bolts and all are tight, but I think I may need a new gearbox, as the steering is a little sketchy too. (i've already gone over the front end and there doesn't seem to be any problems...gearbox is last resort)
I'm thinking the problem would be in the rear, but not 100%.

thanks!

#2 ·
I'm assuming you've eliminated tires/alignment problems. Have you checked all the steering components? Ball joints/tie-rods or even a frozen caliper.

It could be your gearbox but I'd check those 1st.

#4 ·
I did an alignment on it last week, everything is in check. Ball joints and all steering linkages are tight. Brakes are also free.

When I get on the throttle it pulls to the left, and then immediately comes back to the right after I leave off the throttle.

#5 ·
It sounds like youve checked it out pretty good, but I wounder if there could be something like broken leafs in the left rear pack.

Under acceleration the axle tries to move forewards. If the left side of the rear axle moves further forewards than the right the truck could steer to the left.

Maybe a problem with the differential. Seems like there would be other issues though. Broken spiders or axle. Maybe pull the fill plug and check the magnet.

Aaron

#7 ·
When you say axle nuts do you mean the nut that keeps the wheel hub attached to the axle tube or are you talking about the U bolts that attaches the axle to the leaf springs?

U bolts being loose I would think could cause it.

Axle nut being loose, maybe could cause it too, I would think there would be other issues though.

Ive never run into the problem your having, just throwing ideas out there for things to check or try out.

Aaron

#9 ·
Do you mean the bolts that hold the caliper mount on the axle housing? or maybe the bolts that bolt the axles to the hub?

I've looked mine over several times...I still can't find what the issue is. The rear suspension on my truck does have a helper spring on the bottom of the spring pack...maybe they are installed incorrectly?

#10 ·
Do you mean the bolts that hold the caliper mount on the axle housing? or maybe the bolts that bolt the axles to the hub?
If you take those bolts that hold the axle to the hub off and pull the axle out you will see a nut that holds the hub and rotor on the axle tube. I don't know if that would cause the problem. I have the same problem and was wondering if that's something I should check.

#11 ·
If you take those bolts that hold the axle to the hub off and pull the axle out you will see a nut that holds the hub and rotor on the axle tube. I don't know if that would cause the problem. I have the same problem and was wondering if that's something I should check.[/QUOTE]

Have you jacked the rear end up and tried to move the wheel and hub assembly in and out? If its more than a slight clicking there could be a problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.