Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

ecoboost vs 6.7 powerstroke

17K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  92f350cc 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have been wondering this for awhile now. am looking to jump back in a Ford truck again and ive been reading threads about MPG for both ecoboost and 6.7. They seem to be the same. ecoboost owners can't seem to get over the 20 mpg mark even tuned, now I probably would do tuning to both motors if i got them, but nothing more than a 60hp tune for the powerstroke. I dont tow no more than a bass boat and my dodge hemi tows just fine to me but would like better mpgs towing. what are the tuned 6.7 getting for mpg and are they holding up like the 6.4s are?

#3 ·
Not an expert but I've heard that the ecoboost really does wonders in the out put with up grade exhaust. The exhaust is very restrictive. Mpgs goes up.

#4 ·
My grandpa has an eco boost 150 and it will get right with it. He averages about 17.5mpg with it. Haven't ever had a trailer behind it to tell you towing milage though. In my 6.7 my best milage on a tank has been 17.2 my worst was 13.4 and my overall average after starting to keep track is 15.28. This is highway, city towing you name it. A diesel is going to get you better milage towing but costs a lot more for up keep and a higher cost up front. The eco is a bad little motor especially if you throw some KEM tunes on it

#5 ·
It has taken a lot of will power to stay away from the dealership to lease an ecoboost. I do under 6k a year on my truck because I drive a company truck and I only tow my camper a few times a year. And to be honest an eco has a ton more power and torque than my 7.3 has at this point.

I agree with the exhaust, you have to open it up and as an added bonus you can get a nice whistle from it too.

#8 ·
I agree - there are a few spots in that video where its being revved up and I feel like looking for some young kid in a rice rocket with one of them tin can exhausts
:psnb:

#11 ·
I just can’t see a small turbo charged V6 motor holding up if you are pulling a lot with it. I feel like they made this motor for cars and small SUV and threw it in a truck to try and claim the best gas mileage. Hopefully they prove me wrong though and maybe I’m old school on my thinking.

#12 ·
Not that I disagree but I have to add that I worked for an electrical contractor/plumbing company and we pulled a 21' trailer and a mini excavator with a standard V6 F150 2wd and that was all it did. Now it didnt stop well or go over 50mph down hill but it pulled for over 80k miles with no problems and last I saw they were still pulling with it and I have been gone for 3 years, I am sure it is way over 100k miles now.

#13 ·
Like i said i hope that it is a great motor. I just thank it will take a couple of years to find out how good they are. I’ll just stick with the good old 7.3L for now.:D

#16 ·
They were/are my favorite 80s car even though I own an IROC. They held their value pretty well too. Last I looked they went from 15-20k still.

#19 ·
No replacement for displacement. I seriously doubt the ecoboost will see 3-500K towing or not.

#22 ·
A local real car guy, Cobra 427 replica, 67 Fairlane, a Daytona coupe on the way and a shop to die for, he traded his dodge duelly for one and is in heaven.

#25 ·
Hell, i'd be in heaven driving a Ranger after owning a Durdge LOL LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.