Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

4R100 to ZF6 swap and F650 Dash!

31K views 40 replies 19 participants last post by  Redneckpb16 
#1 ·
So this week I finished my ZF6 swap in my truck. Always wanted to have a truck with a manual in it.
Because I live in Belgium its very hard to find a manual shifted truck. Most are automatics and I don't like the way the 4R100 shifts...

So after I collected al my parts I started with tearing the hole truck apart. Me and a friend did the swap in 2 days. Man! Not so easy as we tought after reading all the threads over ZF6 swaps :eek:

First things first. Cutting a big f*cking hole in my floor!!

So much room without the seats in!

Out with the old

In with the new. South bend ALL THE WAY!! :bowfast:

The problem with the brake pedal is that its to close to the clutch pedal. So a little bit later the cut-off wheel came by

Then I started with the floor hump. I didn't find a hump so instead I've build my own

Sealed every weld with silicone so moisture can't come in

After that I began on my F650 dash. I really wanted a automatic version because I wanted enough place for switches and two gauges. At this time I only use 5 switches for my compressor / work lights / back-up lights / heated mirrors and one of them is an ON/OFF/ON switch to change between my regular horn or my air horn. I can horn both with the horn on my steering wheel.
Also found a place to mount my knob for the Tony Wildman 6-postion chip!!!
The two gauges are for charging voltage and for air pressure.

That being said it was time to make some sort of an extension so that my shifter stick came backwards under the dash out.
After an hour or so I finally had the bracket that I needed so I could shift without hitting something on my dash or my center console.

Here you see the closest shift to my dash. It's in 3rd here

And here the closest to my center console, in 4th gear
Only problem I have now is that my shifter boot doesn't fit anymore. So I ordered a shifter boot from a '08 model. It's bigger and hopefully big enough that my bracket fits inside...
When I get it in I will post some pics of it.

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks!

Today I tried to start the truck but it didn't do anything :confused:

Nothing worked... Radio, interior lights, tacho doesn't move when I turn the key in ON

What could this be? Can it be that my pcm is fried???
My chip from Tony Wildman is burnt to manual but the pcm is the old one when the truck was still automatic.
I've tied together the 2 wires on the gear selector plug. I had read that on the forum here.

My truck is a F250 from 2002. Diesel that is :ford:

#7 ·
That auto PCM may be your issue.

#8 ·
But I've read something that when you get a chip and let it burn for a manual truck it overides the auto PCM.

Or has it something to do with the fact that my truck is from '02 and the electrical part is not as easy as the '99 to '01 trucks?

Where do I find a new PCM? I live in Belgium so I need a site where I can buy online..

#9 ·
Hopefully someone will chime in here that has more knowledge but I was under the impression that you needed a manual PCM for a manual trans but I am wrong a lot.

#10 ·
I pulled my PCM today and it doesn't look fried to me. Chip isn't fried either.

Codes on my PCM are:

VDH2 EEC-V
DPC-462
2C3F - 12A650-DC

What code do I need now that my truck is a manual?

Need a new PCM realy bad because the truck is out for 4 weeks now! :eek:
I'm getting Cold turkey LOL

Here is a pic of my door sticker. Model year is '01 but by checking my VIN it says it's a '02 truck ???

#12 ·
The more I think about it the more I think you should have at least lights and radio, the PCM doesnt control the radio. Hate to ask because Im sure you did but have you gone through all of your wiring to double check?

#14 ·
Well the b*tch is running again!!!!! :bowfast::bowfast::bowfast:

After pulling the pcm for a couple of times and cleaning the contacts for the chip and checking every electrical connector under the dash she fired up with one turn on the key!

Very happy that I don't need a new PCM.

Other problem is that my trans is leaking ATF bad at the front. Comes out the bellhousing...
I think the input shaft seal is not the right one. I've put a new one before installing the trans but it isn't sealing good enough.
So I'm going to pull the trans tomorrow I think... Yippie Yeeeeeeey :doh:

#15 ·
Glad to see it started up for you. Have fun with the tranny pull.

#16 ·
The input and output seals on the ZF6 look very similar, you can get them installed in the wrong place super easy, I've done it before myself.

The input seal on the output shaft will seal, the output on the input shaft will leak live crazy, you'll be able to see an air gap around the seal if this is the case.

#17 ·
Yea I think thats the problem. I've replaced input and output shaft seals and I think I've switched them. Back isn't leaking but front very bad!

Do you know were to get a front seal online? Need one realy quick because I need the truck for my work. Now driving a toyota Hilux :doh:

#18 ·
Today I've got the trans back in and took it for a spin. No leaks and oh man!!! what a great feeling to shift now!! :bowfast:
It feels like driving a big rig now. Especially with the sound of the turbo when shifting through the gears. Loud as hell with straight pipe!

Only thing that not works fine is the shifter boot from the '08 model. Because I have an F650 automatic dash I needed to make a bracket so I could shift without hitting the dash. But the bracket is so big that when I shift to L - 2 - 4 the shifter boot "pops" out of the clips...

So I think it is not possible to mount a F650 automatic dash (the big one!) when you have a ZF6 trans.... :(

Going to order a manual F650 dash now but where to buy?? Don't want to spent $300 at RiffRaff!!! :eek:

#20 ·
I've been driving around a few days now and I'm really happy with the swap but my only problem is that my throttle is very sensative.

I'm not able of driving slow for parking because my throtlle is very touchy.

What can this problem be? I have a Tony wildman 6-postion chip that is burned for manual.

#23 ·
There are other vendors available as well. Swamps has great service and
I have read plenty about gearhead 7.3 tunes doing well. Call a few other vendors but basically I'd guess either pulse width or timing is too high off idle, thus giving you a touchy pedal. A high PW on the 6.4 causes the same problem.

#24 ·
I just can never figure out why people swap a manual into a truck...

#26 ·
Some people enjoy shifting gears for one. I specifically bought mine with a 6 speed because I prefer to choose what gear I'm in while I'm towing. The only time I don't like my 6 speed is in traffic jams.

#27 ·
I can pick what gear I want too...

I can also pick up a PCS and have even more control.

Or I can just have spot on tuning and never worry about shifting, lugging, starting or stopping.

Not to mention my auto will just hold more HP then a Zf6...

#30 ·
I'm never go to the point of 450hp. 350 or 400 is the max I would get in the future so that is no problem for the tranny.

Believe me if I had the money for a build auto trans I would've got one from John Wood or BTS
ZF6 was the best option for me and like I said, I like rowing the gears.

Like everyone else, everybody has his own opinions and builds their trucks like they want it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.