Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Widetrack/Tow Boss retrofit to a 2wheel drive f350

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Aaron S 
#1 ·
Ive scoured this fourm for info on this one. Havent seen wut i was looking for so here we go. Recently on the cover of diesel world there was a red f350 Cummins/Allison/Ford. If I understood right, this guy upgraded the front suspension on this 2wheel drive truck to a 09 f450 setup. My thinking is this model year will bolt in place; both trucks being 2wd; thus creating real world widetrack conversion for a 2wd dually. Mines is a 2000 crew cab lariat. Next, any thoughts on a rear end swap to a dana 110 w 430s or 410s. We haul cars with it and have a need to keep it a "paper" 350, why we wont upgrade trucks(DOT)... Have at it fellas... thanx

#2 ·
Theres a guy on the Army that wants to do something similar to an 07 model 350, Colo-dually is the guy. In the general aftermarket section.

There are threads on here of people who have swapped the front suspension from 05 up truck onto 04 and older trucks, me included. In the suspension area.

Theres a guy on here Demon in the projet forum, he put the axles your interested in on a 06 250 superduty 4x4. Project Kick Ass - 2006 F350 with 12v and '06 F450 diffs. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

Just the front end alone is going to be pretty expensive. The trans would have to be swapped or dissasembled to install the 4x4 output shaft so the t case could be installed. newer coil buckets bolt right up. Radius arm brackets require measuring to get them in the correct spot.

For the rear end id bet youd just have to cut and reweld the spring mounts out a little bit. Get the flange for the 450 drive shaft and an adapter u joint so it could be installed to the end of your drive shaft.

Aaron

#4 ·
Sorry, I didnt pay enough attention when I read your post. Thought you were swapping to 4x4.

In all honesty though all of the info still applies, you just dont need to mess with the trans and t case aspect.

The front tube axle will still bolt in position the way a super 60 would. It might be easier to find a used tube axle off of a wrecked truck too.

Aaron

#5 ·
I was thinkin that. Wut year would u recomend me goin with. Again, I want the increased stability and capacity not to mention the wider stance which is awsome!!! Can I do it with a setup off of a f550 or only the f450? Do u know wuts the best year to go with? Which years brakes and components were the best & lastly wut issues should I be concerened with doing this swap? As for the rear, how can I take the harshness out the ride while towing. I pull heavy and have been shopping parts for a cummins conversion. My goal is to upgrade the suspension as much as possibly feasible on a f350.

#6 ·
Year wise I would say anything 05 and up, the years that are wider in the front.

The feeling of stability has more to do with stiffness of the coils, anti sway bars and shocks. Cary Towery at CT performance can do a better job than me of recomending which coils to use. I also couldnt say if 4x4 coils are the same as 450-550 coils but I believe they are. The only difference may be the weight capacities.

Couldnt say what year is the best. The brakes on all of them are huge, so its going to be an improvement regardless. A lot of the 05-08 450s use the same front and rear brakes calipers and pads.

Concerns: Measuring and putting the radius arm brackets in the correct location. The combined problem of bump steer caused by which steering box you use and which pitman arm. Im not sure whats the best way to go steering box wise. The 05 up 450-550 use a very large box with very large bolts so its pobably not an option.

Air ride could improve the ride. Or if the 08 up 450-550s use the longer leaf springs they may ride better, couldnt say from experience though. Youd also have to move the front mount forwards. Could use a 450-550 cast spring hanger.

Aaron

#8 ·
R4Tech. I dont have any experience with it. Search on here and the army. One of the vendors installed it on a customers truck and the customer was happy with it. The vendor is Complete Performance. There are also some threads in here about it but I dont believe anyone installed the kit.

The only problem may be installing it onto the dana 135. Dont know if they have kits for that axle.

Aaron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.