Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Looking to open up a diesel retail business.

4K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  t.r.p. 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am looking to open up an online retail store to sell performance and OEM diesel products. After working in the aftermarket industry for a good while, I have learned that most aftermarket parts are EXTREMELY marked up.

Anyways, I am having the hardest time coming up with a name. So I come to you. If I choose one of yours, I will paypal you $100.

#2 ·
I think your name sounds good that you have on here. TRP Performance. People seem to like the abbreviated names. Not sure what it stands for. Top Race Products?

#5 ·
I love your trucl.

What is ur name. Mayb u can name it like ur name diesel products or ur name diesel performance products. U get the idea

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
My name is Taylor Reid Peyronel. Lol, so my username is simply made of my initials. But I do like the TRP being in the name. Thought of maybe Reid Diesel.

I've helped people come up with several names for small business including two of my own. You want to make sure it's easy to remember especially if online only. That's why abbreviated names are good for that, short and easy to remember. Just a tip...

Thanks!

#4 ·
I've helped people come up with several names for small business including two of my own. You want to make sure it's easy to remember especially if online only. That's why abbreviated names are good for that, short and easy to remember. Just a tip...

#7 ·
If TRP is your initals, it has the added benefit of being your name. Here in CA and many other places you dont have to file a Fictitious Business Name License or DBA if the name of the company has your personal name in it.

#8 ·
Top Diesel Products...not TRP but close enough...

#11 ·
Hey guys, I am looking to open up an online retail store to sell performance and OEM diesel products. After working in the aftermarket industry for a good while, I have learned that most aftermarket parts are EXTREMELY marked up.

Anyways, I am having the hardest time coming up with a name. So I come to you. If I choose one of yours, I will paypal you $100.
LOLLOLLOL

#12 ·
Not sure why you quoted that or are laughing about it. The mark up around here (Texas) is insane. I mean a 40-50% margin.

#15 ·
You must have worked at 4wheel parts to see that kind of mark up.
Not going to post names, but it's no one affiliated with the diesel world. Just offroad shops around here.

My store/shop is actually going to be geared more towards offroad/accessories.

#16 ·
Most retailers with an actual store mark-up 100% from wholesale. Factor in wages, rent/mortgage, utilities, property taxes, renovations, furnishings, etc will eat away at the mark-up margins pretty quickly. If all you're doing is taking orders and drop-shipping from the distributors/suppliers/manufacturers, then the only mark-up should be a 10% agent fee.

#19 ·
In any business I don't think you could survive with a mark up like that. Not with the internet being around. Nobody would buy from a said dealer with that kind of mark up. The middle man would simply be cut out. Most shops make little money on parts, they make their money in the shop on labor charges.

#21 ·
I know for sure 100% mark up does not exsist. However, the 40% is what I charged when I worked for a local shop and our prices were consistent with everyone in the area. I am not blabbing out numbers, I am sharing facts.

However, my intent is to not charge such an extreme mark up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.