Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Wanna Feel Really Stupid About Your MPG?

11K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  7.3withstacks 
#1 ·
#8 ·
If you are a pro, beautiful is as beautiful does. His truck does beautifully.

How much money are looks worth?

BTW, my truck's factory GVWR was 9,900 lb. That is to which I refer. Curb weight is a ton and a half lighter.

#12 ·
If you are a pro, beautiful is as beautiful does. His truck does beautifully.
It does!

So, looks like their basic premise was to:

Maintain heat in the engine.
Reduce drag at the rear.
Clean up the initial entry into air at the front.

Seems pretty simple. Thoughts?

With a van, I always like studies where it's something square at the back they are improving. Saw a tractor-trailer on the road during the week with a rear treatment, I took a picture while driving...I'll have to post a pic and the name of the product, as it was listed on it.

#11 ·
Dave that is good MPG for a truck!!! WITH a load!!!

I have a question for you.... How is your Gearvender working out for you??? Did you see a jump in MPG after you did it???

Thanks

David

#13 ·
I still don't see how he did it. I got a whopping 10.5 mpg this weekend towing my 8000 lb trailer for 400 miles.

No 203 stat, no grille blocks. Not sure how to make a smaller truck, lower combined weight, with a smaller engine perform as well as a freaking semi.

#14 ·
Ok, so they are also using the lower rolling resistance tires and the RPM's they were running were...lower than 1400RPM's, right? Is that lower than normal for that kind of purpose?

Dave, I think you're running right around 1300RPM's at 70MPH by design.

#15 ·
1320 RPM @ 70 MPH indicated (speedo is correct)
1415 RPM @ 75 MPH
1225 RPM @ 65 MPH
1130 RPM @ 60 MPH
945 RPM @ 50 MPH (practical minimum although I can coax it lower in the right conditions.

All by design.

1320 is right on the ragged edge of lugging but if I speed up or slow down the "lug" feeling does away. On flat ground EGT is 500-600. Boost is only barely off the peg.

At 75 MPH (through TX and OK lately) the EGT was about 650 and it was making about 3 psi boost.

#16 ·
Way off topic but as I was lurking this thread I couldn't help but notice how familiar your truck is. Do you still live in Greenfield?

#22 ·
well i could care less what people that i meet on the road think, although i wont be traveling slow enough to cause a problem. however this weekend i went from st.louis to pulaski TN and back. going down with the cruise on 70-71 i got a hand figured 17.6 mpg out of a stock 2011 6.7 crew cab long bed with 4x4 and 3:73 gears. coming back i went up to 73-75 depending on traffic and the area, that litte difference in speed cost me 1.8 mpg. so if mpg is your goal 55-60 is fine. this was a 448 mile trip each way. seems speed plays a big role in mpg.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.