Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Educate me on dirt bikes

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Jakester136 
#1 ·
In my search for a new hobby I've decided to take up dirt biking. Grew up on 4 wheelers, horses, and playing golf. Figured I'd try dirt biking next. So with that being said, I've never ridden a motorcycle of any kind in my life. I'm not looking to do crazy stunts or go extremely fast but at the same time I want something I can grow into. So what do y'all recommend? 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Brands? Engine size? I'm buying used and hoping to be below $1500.

#2 ·
Depending on your size and considering your price range go with a 125 2stroke, they aren't the fastest bikes around but offer a lot of room to progress, they require very little maintainance, if you can learn to ride that bike to its full potential you can tear it up on anything

#3 ·
Whs. If your looking for a full size, fast enough, cheap bike, the 125 2stroke is the way to go. Easy to work on and if you can ride one like there supposed to be ridden then you can ride anything

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#4 ·
When looking for a dirt bike don't buy a pos and I would say 75% of them are beat. I'm a big 2 stroke fan. Look for a 125/250 I also love my little 100 for ripping around in the woods. I would buy a kx/yz/cr or rm they are all pretty solid bikes or a newer ktm. A 250 4 stroke would also be good if you want a smoother riding bike that wont have the power band hit of a 2 stroke.

#5 ·
How big are you? I'm 200 lbs and a KDX200 suits me fine my brother is 280+ and he makes it look real tiny. Make sure the steering tracks straight and the chain is tight. Also check and make sure the shocks don't need replaced.

#7 ·
If you need a headlight/street legality under $1500:
Honda XR400, Suzuki DR350, Yamaha WR 400/426, Kawasaki KDX 200

2 stroke 250's are always less beat than 125's, mostly due to people's self preservation instinct, and the extra midrange makes them much better play/trail bikes. 250's are great for singletrack, I take my '03 yz250 everywhere after adding a desert tank.

#8 ·
I'm 5'10 and 150 and a 250 4 stroke is a dream for me. I've Been riding for 6 years though. What I can tell you is stay away from real old bikes they go obsolete fairly quickly. Try to get something above an 02 and 2 stroke. If your just starting off a 250 2 stroke might be a little bit of a handful and I used to have a 125 and I was never disappointed with the power. An just watch your Rees valves and fuel ratios!

#9 ·
Ya I've been riding for about 15 years I'm 6'1 180 and ride a 01yz 250 and it's more than enough power, so much that I don't use it all, I'm thinking about picking up a 125 to hone my skills again, I ride my cousins occasionally and with some technique I can keep up with the bigger bikes but that's mostly trail riding, again the huge advantage to 2-strokes is the minimal maintainance

#10 ·
I have to get in on this. I not recommend a 125 2 smoker, you will not like it, even though i have a special place in my heart for them, since i have rode them so much. But i would save your money for a little longer and get into the $2500 range you will find a much better bike. I would also get a 250 2stroke or get a lightly used 250f but be ware and vary selective about them. Take your time and look for the best one, cause a lot of the 250f have been beat TO CHIT! So with that being said i would also recommend a 450f, they have smooth power and a lot of it. If you take your time and have a respect for the bike it will take care of you. The 250smoker, Is a good bike also but take a lot of work to ride it in the meat of the power, but when it comes to maintenance it is as easy as it can be. So take your time and find a non clapped out ride. Look at the guy who you are buying it from how he takes care of the rest of his belongings like his truck, house, etc. When i help guys go pick out a bike i look and the bottom of the frame, the forks and wheels for pitting from rocks, look for a Hour meter usually a good sign of good maintenance, ask him when the last top end was done, when the valves were last check if it is a 4 stroke, how often the change the oil, and the air filter, I change my air filter every ride to give you and my oil every 4 rides/5hrs on the meter i also keep a log book on my bike like a pilot. Any way, sorry to be long winded. PM me if you want any other questions. Or if you want me to look at a Craig s list add that you are looking at.

#11 ·
Where do you live? If you lived nearby I'd let you ride 1 of my 200's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.