Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Boy she's HOT!!!

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  jg6.0 
#1 ·
My truck has ran with eng and oil temps being around 198 and seeing 208 in the summer with the A/C on high. Today will driving on the interstate it climbed to 252 eng temp. My speed was 78 with rolling hills and pulling nothing. I let off the pedal and coasted over and down the next hill. The temps lowered to 222 eng and 212 oil. My speed was 64. It cooled down to 210 on both and just to be sure, I got off at the next exit and checked what I could. The coolant tank was a little lower than normal. I keep mine about half full and it was at a 1/4 or less.
When I got back on the interstate I noticed the fan clutch was engaged when I pulled out from the light. So... I ruled out the fan clutch. I didn't over heat more while sitting at the light, so I ruled out the water pump. It had cooled down to 192 and thought it was a fluke. Till the next hard climb and pushed it a little harder to get around a crane going very slow. It climbed back up to 226 eng and over time brought the oil to I think around 210.
My wife works 6 exits on up the interstate, so I got hers and drove on home. I work 1100PM till 1100AM and thought I would go back after late this evening.
I have a coolant filter with 150 miles on the second filter. No EGR delete and no studs.

So what are your thoughts? Where should I start? Thanks!

See less See more
#3 ·
My coolant temps where my eng temps in the above. Coolant flushed twice in the past 18 months. New thermostat. Ford replaced oil cooler at 54,000 and it has 110,000 on it now.

Coolant was about a qaurt low.

#4 ·
With those temps, I'd say you are on the verge of catastrophic engine failure.

Definitely having some major temp issues. I would not put many more miles on it. Get it to a shop and have it studded. I would say you're EGR coolor, oil cooler, AND gaskets have all failed.

#5 ·
Yeah, that's my empty wallets concern. I hope I can limp it through a couple of more easy going months and get it tore down this winter.

Oh the joys of the 6.0

#6 ·
Make sure that your radiator fins are clear and not plugged.

To verify that the temperature sensor is accurate you can compare the oil and coolant temps on a cold engine and see if they are essentially the same (they are also interchangeable).

It is odd for coolant to be hotter than the oil. Make sure that your degas level is at the right point. When the engine is idling verify that coolant is being circulated and discharged into the degas bottle through the smaller lines that tie into the top area of the degas bottle. You can also squeeze a radiator hose to verify a flow (you can feel the flow when it becomes restricted).

#7 ·
Since you were low on coolant. i would deff check the egr cooler.. also, try and get a pressure guage on the cooling system to see if you are running higher pressures. There are many posts about how to check EGR for leaks.. I know when mine was bad, ford said it was OK.. and i didnt take their word for it.. i took it out and confirmed it was leaking. Got to check it before driving it any more, to save you from blown Head gaskets (if they havent blown already).

#8 ·
It could still be a water pump - idling does not generate much heat.

It is more likely to be head gaskets IMO, but it could also be an EGR cooler (although the degas level down by one quart is an indication of an issue - certainly not the cause of the overheating).

When head gaskets lift, you get exhaust gasses that interfere (backpressure) with the water pump and the coolant flow.

As mx185sw said - check the pressure in the degas bottle.

Running the Edge tuner with no studs certainly puts you in the "high risk" category (not a good place to be w/ empty pockets)!

#9 ·
Thanks for all the info and direction.

Yeah... I mostly ran the Edge for the guages and never ran it more than the level 3 setting. Mostly on the mileage setting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.