Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Installing a Winch on a 2012 w/6.7 Question

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  texas4x4 
#1 · (Edited)
Im new back to Ford and Just bought a 2012 F250 with a 6.7L. I picked up a 12k Warn Winch and was wanting to know if the Fords have a power tap under the Hoods like the chevys had. Ive looked but have yet to find one. I was wondering if anyone has installed one or know where I can connect main power to. Thanks

If I need to post this under someting else please just let me know.

#3 ·
Upfitter switches (#1 and #2) are only rated to 25 amps, 10 amps for #3, and 15 amps for #4.

The M12000 Warn Winch requires much more than that. At 2,000 lbs of pull force it needs 140 amps. At the full 12,000 lbs it needs 440 amps.

There's a reason it uses 2 gauge wire.

Hook it up to one of your batteries.

#4 ·
Yea No Middle Man :),straight to the source!

If i Was Running a winch,Which i will be doing,my next mod would be to put all the alt I could find, Amp wise, on the motor....

and i would Have two Optima batterys...Love the Blue tops in My Boat!2220 Key West center console with a 250 Fourstroke Yammy :~) Life Is Good......

#5 ·
Well I didn't wind up with the unfitter switches but that will be one of the next things I do. Got the grill guard part installed and learned the hard way that just because the box says it will accept a 12k winch does not mean that it will handle the m12000. So I'm going to build the winch mount and use the brackets that came with the grill guard for support. Thanks for all the help. I will just deadman off the the battery's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.