Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Ecoboost blues? Limp Mode and other BS

15K views 47 replies 19 participants last post by  IHPowerstroke7.3 
#1 ·
I dont care if you wantch the videos or not but please click the links to help get the "hits" up.

for the first 20,000 miles (plus or minus) I was a Major Ecoboost fan, since then my thoughts of Ford and This engine/truck have changed a little. What would you guys do about this?

Starting around 20k miles my truck started missing while sitting at idle, a random CEL (which would not shop up on a scanner after it went off), a random reverse camera issue where it will not come on (or when it does come on it is black and white and very grainy looking), sometimes while trying to get onto an on ramp and gassing the truck hard it would fall on its face and return to idle (yes, while merging) and you would have to let of the gas and slowly reapply, when traveling at highway speeds the truck would mis or start stuttering and shaking (bad enough the steering wheel would shake up and down at least a 1/2" (it happens in 5th and 6th gear then at about 32k miles the truck would go into limp mode while trying to pull a 6*10 single axle angle top lowboy.

I took it to the shop (on 4/24/12 and had a few small things fixed but all of the above was on a list of problems I provided to the service adviser. A week later (4/30/12) they called me and told me to pick the truck up. I went and got it and on the repair order it said they re flashed the PCM and installed a new cat. On the way back to my office I could feel the mis at highway speeds again, i just took note of it and kept going begin i didnt have time that day to mess with it. That evening after leaving work and trying to get on the interstate it started the return to idle crap and about got me creamed.. The loaner truck I had borrowed while my truck was in the shop was going to be tied up for a few weeks so I couldn't return it to the shop yet. All of this was on 4/30/12.

Thursday (5/3/12) I was headed back to my office from a meeting and my CEL came on again so i pulled into the dealership to see if they could pull a code while the CEL was still on, I was afraid that if the CEL went off it would not store the code like before. They jumped on it and it had three codes (p0300, p0304, and p0430) the tech gave me a print out to bring back when I could leave it again and I left. The print out has a report that says "cylinder 4 misfire detected)

On 5/21/12 I tried to pull a trailer to work with me hauling my lawn mower and the truck went back into limp mode and after about 20 miles it had lost all power.. I knew my Dad was either right in front or behind me so I called him and he come and towed my trailer to work for me. I took the truck back to the dealership that day and dropped it off again, this time i provided the same list to the SA and had updated notes written on it about the things that were fixed and the things that were not fixed. It would probably have happened sooner but my wife had a baby on the 8th and i took a week off of work and then didn't do any outside work the few weekends following.

on 5/29/12 the SA called me and told me I could pick up my truck, I asked her what was wrong with it and she said she didn't know and it was not fixed. As you can imagine I started asking questions. She informed me that Ford wouldn't authorize them to throw any parts at it because they was not sure what was wrong with it but they had a TSB that would be out in 4-6 weeks and that would fix it. I asked her what I was suppose to use for towing in the mean time and she said he didnt know. I then called the service manager and spoke to him about the issue. He told me the same thing and told me they would not be able to give me a loaner vehicle because ford wouldn't pay for it. Because I could drive my truck.

I called ford and started a case and was told the regional rep would contact me in 24 hours.

When the rep called me I was not at my desk so after hearing what she had to say I asked her If could call her back from my office phone. when I first spoke to her she told me that would not give me a loaner vehicle because I could use my truck for it's intended purpose and that the truck was not designed for towing. I about lost it... I told her have you seen a single ecoboost commercial? at this point I asked her If I could retrun her call and record the conversation becaues I was not believeing what she was saying.

Out conversation is below. I called her and told her I was recording and then this started...

since then I have spoke to three other reps that tell me the same crap and refuse to offer me a vehicle to drive until mine is fixed... i pull a small trailer every week end and they refuse to give a crap but yet they advise me not to drive in limp mode...

here it is in limp mode

This is the new ecoboost outboard edition... sounds like a freaking boat...

here is the reverse camera issue... this is after they have already "fixed it' once..

It started missing again on the way home from work so I took these videos...

See less See more
#2 ·
That sucks, I hope they figure it out. I love the idea of the ecoboost.

#3 ·
I wonder what happened, supposedly these engine were tested big time, and would last 150k plus easy with HEAVY abuse. Sucks

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#4 ·
man that sucks, but i can feel your pain. i fought and fought with ford over a tsb on my 09 shelby. i had to push it to ford corp. i dont think if my buddy wasnt the sales manager, that i would have gotten the fix i did.

i find the humor in that its not ment to tow? then why say it has a better tow capacity than the other 1/2 ton rigs. what a joke. im ntot sure why they dont just fix things. kinda like the raptor frame issue. 700 dollar fix and they are fighting it tooth and nail.

guess they should have went with the small diesel instead. too bad they went this direction. good luck with her

#6 ·
Yeah they are saying the new flash for the PCM hs been submitted to the EPA for approval and they are waiting for the " a ok" before releasing the TSB. My problems are tied to to many different issues. the flash may fix some issues but i dont see it being a fix all..

#7 ·
My dad has a newer ford minivan and it had all sorts of crazy issues. Doors locking and unlocking, check engine light, shifting wrong, it was in and out of the shop I dont know how many times. It ended up being a bad connection on the battery...made the computer do all sorts of crazy things.

#8 ·
my 04 ford was doing those crazy things as well when the battery was dead, heck the panic mode on the alarm kept going off.. lol

#9 ·
As far as the engine is concerned, and the misfiring, I can only assume Ford is now falling prey to the problems Mazda, Audi, Porsche, Hyundai and Kia have had the past 5 years with their direct Injected Turbo Engines and GM with the Non-turbo 3.0 and 3.6.

Because there is no fuel passing through the ports and these engines have a closed loop EGR and PCV system combined with elevated intake air temps, after just 10kmi the engine can have significant build up in the intake ports, on the valves themselves and in the chambers.

Direct Injected Turbo engines also destroy spark plugs. Most manufacturers recommend 36kmi plug changes.

I own 3 DI turbo cars and they all have buildup problems and random misfiring at all speeds (in particular at idle) as the plugs wear and the buildup gets worse.

Examples of buildup:

Notice the build-up on the piston crowns at the Ford teardown here:

I bet the intake ports (which I can't find a picture of any where, odd) were worse off.

Also look here BGFuelTest.com The Fast and The Fuel Test

They have a running blog on the deposit issues with their ecoboost Taurus.

I use the BG ISC and 44k treatment at every oil change on all my DI Turbo cars.

The ports and valves stay clean between cleanings because the 44k soaks into the metal and keep more deposits from sticking.

Call it snake oil, but it's the only thing outside of a tear down and scrubbing with wire brushes and solvent that I have seen take it off.

Once it's there Seafoam and the other commonly used clean-up products have little to no effect on the baked on carbon, though the do remove much of the oil residue.
3m makes a product similar the the BG product.

Berryman's Chemtool works well if the manifold is off, didn't have any luck with the vacuum hose trick, but it did better than seafoam.

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/direct-injection-fouls-some-early-adopters.html

Here's an article outlining the problems.

At any rate try a manifold/port cleaning and then a sparkplug swap in that order. Sounds to me like you have a fouled plug. Could also be an injector.

I'll bet you'll see a marked difference. BG Findashop - Search for an authorized BG service center near you!

#10 ·
Wow. I am ashamed at how Ford is treating you. You paid your hard eared money on a TRUCK and they tell you that you are not to use it like one?
Its not like you are towing a 36' tri-axle 5th wheel camper

#11 ·
in their [Ford] video they claim a 11,200 pound towing capacity........ I would start shopping lawyers ......

#12 ·
it sure is ashame how a dealer can treat you like gold when purchasing a vehicle but when there are major issues and you return it for them to fix it they can only do so much. I mean you spend $$,$$$ and they treat you like that. That is bull, How did she get off telling you that its not ment for towing,!! I cant believe she would say something like that!! they sais its not good dont drive it in limp mode but yet they wont give you a loner vehicle. I hope you get this all fixed man, good luck, and dont back down!! worse comes to worse you can always look into the lemon law!!!

#18 ·
this kind of (no it does) remind of the Raptor video where Ford is jumping the truck and generally abusing the piss out of it and advertising it as race ready from the box and then customers are bringing them back with bent frames just doing what Ford advertised....... and Ford not honoring the warranty and fixing the frames because they claim the drivers were abusing the trucks by off roading them.........

Ford needs to step to the plate and fix these ####ing problems or throttle back on the advertising because they advertised the ecoboost F150 with an 11,200 pound towing capacity and even passed that mike row video around the internet of it towing 2 nascars on an aluminum 2 car trailer for 24 consecutive hours on the Miami race track.....

and then to tell the OP that it wasn't meant for towing ...... #### Ford...... thats a slap in the face to loyal customers....... I knew I should have downloaded and saved those videos.

#19 ·
I'm all excited about the ecoboost technology. I hope the get their $h!t together on this.

When I see new F150s I always check the door like I do with 3/4 and 1 ton trucks to see if it is an ecoboost and when it isnt I am always let down.

Good luck!

#20 ·
Ford better start getting their sh*t together or they are going to continue to lose customers to Gm and other companys. I would definently be talking to a lawyer if I was you. Whats funny is the new diesels arnt any better.

#21 ·
ford is messing up big time. yea every company can have a few mistakes but u cant dick ppl around otherwise they will go else where where there isnt as much of a hassle

#22 ·
The next truck I buy new may just be a new Dodge 6.7 Cummins. The new body style is really growing on me and with the way Ford is treating customers I may just make the switch. Never Though I would ever say those words. Granted it will be a couple years before I buy anything new but the Dodge is looking better and better.

#23 ·
It is a dang good looking truck. I like the GMC too but the Ram 2500/3500 is nice looking. Plus I like the mega cab for some reason.

#24 ·
Im not a fan of the mega cab or anything that GM has but The new restlyed four doors Dodges looks so much better than the old ones. A guy I know owns one and it is very very sharp. This is by far my favorite style Dodge has ever had. Now since the 6.7 Cummins has proven itself, I may be looking for a 2012 four door short box 6 speed cummins in a couple years.

#25 ·
i agree my whole family is a ford family basically but i have a special place for all diesels if they come in a body style i like. the new dodges are sweet looking & it is the only truck with a manual still & 6.7 are decent

#26 ·
i agree my whole family is a ford family basically but i have a special place for all diesels if they come in a body style i like. the new dodges are sweet looking & it is the only truck with a manual still & 6.7 are decent
BINGO

#27 ·
seriously like why would they take manuals away from like every vehicle out there. only muscle cars sports cars & a Ram have manuals now. sum ppl still like to have control over which gear they in & sadly automatics can only think what the driver thinkin alittle at a time....

they should make a cartoon with the driver arguing with the transmission cause it wont do what it says it should do

#28 ·
Sadly I think this is the last year Ram is offering them. I understand why they did it, there just isnt any demand for them so it makes sence.
i also heard the zf6 couldnt handle the power of the new motor. Either way I sure miss mine, Every time I have automatic troubles ( which is all the f*ckin time) I just think back to my ZF5 and ZF6 and think why did I ever buy another Auto. I wish I was more finacially stable because I would either go to a Dodge dealer right now and oder a CCSB Cummins 6 speed or go find a nice 2010 6.4 CCSB 6 speed but unfortunatly that insnt the case.

#29 ·
manufacturing cost ....... parts for a handshaker have to be cast, forged, or machined..... parts for an auto are stamped and held together with glue...... Handshakers in the last 2 years of production made up about 5% of the market....... The slush box is cheaper to produce and can be sold for 2 times as much.

I wonder how much of that had to do with actual demand or Ford manipulating the market and pushing the automatics .......

I went to order my '13 Mustang and told the asshat I wanted a V6 with a 6spd manual... no premium options..... they kept trying to push the automatic with the premium package ($8000 more than the car I wanted) because it was on the lot and ready to go.

No V6 mustang for me ...... '14 is supposed to bring an eco boost V6 option....

#30 ·
what the hell really cant get a v6 mustang with a 6speed. thats gay & really ecoboost on a mustang whats next a 4 cylinder mustang again wheres the fart can?

& i def will probably never get a truck newer than a 2012 as i like having choices & taking stuff like manuals away is like asking for a chesseburger then not gettin the option of whats on it.. & cant handle the power thats bs they anit willing to spend the time or money. its sad it all comes down to this $$$

#31 ·
An ecoboost taurus with a hennessy upgrade(chip, exhaust, and intake) makes
Power:
• 445 bhp @ 5,400 rpm

Performance:
• 0 - 60 mph: 4.3 sec.
• 1/4 mile: 12.8 @ 109 mph

Not to mention still getting good gas mileage...if it holds up I want one.

#32 ·
i know they cool i like the taurus cause it isnt a mustang certain cars & trucks fit with a certain image. u think mustang =V8

#33 ·
when we were in Vegas for spring break I rented a '12 V6 Mustang with an auto and got 33 mpg........... and I did not exactly behave myself...... thats why I want a V8 Mustang.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.