Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Front wheel hop input

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ZIKA 
#1 ·
Ok so I'm sure there are multiple threads regarding front axle wheel hop while sled pulling or drag racing with a coil spring front end. Ive heard a bunch of different ideas on how to stop it or lessen the basketball like front end issue. What have some of you guys done that worked and didn't work? I have a pull on Sunday an cant seem to pick a decent approach to correcting this.

#2 ·
Maybe try a 4 link and some stiffer shocks. Make sure all your ball joints are good quality.
I know the wheel hop because of my truck. Never pulled it but I have some smaller scale pulling experience. What weight class are you in?

#6 ·
When it comes to wheel hop, the strap is king. I mainly do tug a truck and that is the way to go with stock radius arms. Depending on height, you will need a 5-6' long by 2" wide strap. Take the strap around the engine cross member and around the axle housing. Tighten untill it can not go any more.

I bought a BDS 4 link kit and that took all of the wheel hop out when sled pulling and drag racing without using a strap. It did still slightly hop during Tug A Truck though. Running 37", My tire would hit the fender If I tightened the strap to tight. So I took the Bump stops off of the drop brackes and welded a 3/4 nut inside of it. Then I made thread in stops to make contact with the axle. I then take a strap and suck it in to make it solid. No hop period even with tires aird down.

Hope that rambling makes sense. Anyway, just use a strap!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.