Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Font driveshaft double-cardan bad??

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  74zorro 
#1 ·
Need a couple other opinions here guys. My 89 F350 PSD was making an aweful vibration almost grinding like noise when hubs are locked engaged in 4wd. It happens around 20 mph and it only really noticeable when I accelerate. So I got underneath and looked for anything I could think of, I noticed on the front drive shaft that the double-cardan joint or CV as some like to say was very loose, I could wobble it around by hand and it made a clicking noise each time I tried. Im guessing this is the problem, but am not quite sure how much play is really suppose to be there. I got under a 2008 F250 and did the same to it and notice the double-cardan was rather firm. Anyone have experience with this?

#2 ·
the cv should rotate smooth but should'nt be clunking or be loose . could be blown out u-joints or in the middle it has a pin that rides in a ball that is filled with needle bearings . if it runs out of grease it will turn the bearings and pin into a rusty dust if that happens then you will be looking at a new "pin" ball stud that welds onto the driveline and a gimble+ seal that press into the middle of the 4 bolt flange . cut,weld,balance plus parts around $300

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.