Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

My work of "art"

28K views 264 replies 39 participants last post by  87 F250 6.9L 
#1 ·
I bought this truck for $1700 about a year and a half ago and have been plugging away at it ever since, just turned 16 and got my license and am now about to send it to get painted. I bought an old banks kit but due to my cab mounts being bad, I would have to really cut my firewall to make it work, so I am gonna TRY to do my own thing and put an hx35 about right above my power steering pump. As of now I have stage 1 injectors and a turbo cal pump from dps, I would put pictures up but I don't have a clue how to do that yet. I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me, cause I still have no clue where to get flanges or how to make my manifolds

#2 ·
If you already have the pump/injectors in the truck, I hope you are taking it very easy. Also, you need an EGT gauge to be sure you don't melt your engine down. A DPS Turbo pump can easily ruin your engine without a turbo if you don't watch the EGTs closely.

#3 ·
Definitely get that turbo on quickly for the reason that 92f350cc said. What other plans do you have for your engine man?

#4 ·
Idk about over the PS pump, but if you think theres room go for it, seems to me the routing would be a pain. IMO i would do the cab mounts since its something that needs done anyway and throw the banks on it. If its any help to get ya in the right direction if youre set on a HX35, i cut my own flanges out of 3/8" and used a modified NA Y-pipe. But for where youre talking of putting it, sound like you would want to build a Y-manifold similar to the ATS kits. Easiest way still aint easy as far as i see it.

#5 ·
Me and you were pretty much in the same situation. I wanted a turbo, just didnt know whether to do something custom or do a "kit" like banks or ats. my suggestion to you is to put the banks turbo on, in this you will pick up alot of knowledge for turbos in general. After you put it on and have fun with it, you can decide if you want to hang on to it or do something custom. And...you already have the banks setup, which looked like a nice kit to me

#8 ·
Ya body mounts aren't that bad. It would just take part of the afternoon if and when you do it...

#9 ·
Its not the fixing the body mounts that would be a pain in the ass, when I had a guy "fix" my rusted out floor, he cut the mounts for the front cab mounts, so they no longer support the cab at all, which puts about a half inch sag in the truck, I would have to really cut the firewall to put the kit on, I put a long time into figuring that part out trust me. I know I need to watch my egts and I havent been driving the truck so I know that I need to get a gauge before it becomes my daily driver. And before all this I need to get studs put on.

#18 ·
This,

when I had a guy "fix" my rusted out floor, he cut the mounts for the front cab mounts, so they no longer support the cab at all, which puts about a half inch sag in the truck
Then this,

They are supporting the cab, the floor he put in was like half an inch about the old one, its solid but just not in its original place.
So which one is it?

#10 ·
Hey, it's a lot you're taking on by jumping into one of these IDI's as your first vehicle. As far as doing custom turbo stuff, you need to research NMB2 and Racinndrummin's build threads. That sag is going to be a real pain for any kind of turbo kit. There isn't enough room between the engine and firewall for a real downpipe on a perfectly healthy truck, let alone a sagger. You might have to break down and cut that firewall regardless of what turbo you use, choose not to run a turbo, try to "unscrew up" whatever that guy that fixed your floor did...or something. One other option might be to scrap the cab, save the drivetrain and replace.

#12 ·
Hey, it's a lot you're taking on by jumping into one of these IDI's as your first vehicle.
Not really, basic mechanical aptitude will serve you just fine.

There isn't enough room between the engine and firewall for a real downpipe on a perfectly healthy truck, let alone a sagger.
i would say there is room. all you need to do is bend the pinch weld on the fire wall, and i would not call that major firewall adjustment.

#13 ·
Hey if I wanted a bunch of people to get on here and b**** about my firewall and body mounts go somewhere else, I asked for some honest opinions and help, not to be criticized by everybody, thanks for those of you who are giving actual advice.

#19 ·
weldomce to PSN. when you open the door to flaming the sheep WILL RUN threw the door and take full advantage.

I would fix it if it was worth it but IMO its just not at this point, its not a huge deal to me cause I know what the trucks future is gonna be as my daily driver.
then how do you justify puting a turbo on it? you don't want to fix the structural integrity of your truck but you want a turbo. i am not understaning this. also i would want my DD to be as reliable/safe as possible.

#14 ·
On a some what better note, I dropped my truck off at the local Maaco to get it painted, pretty nervous about getting it back, but am glad to see it get outta my shop. Anybody know what the process is to do head studs? Heard from somebody you have to move the motor?

#17 ·
They are supporting the cab, the floor he put in was like half an inch about the old one, its solid but just not in its original place. I would fix it if it was worth it but IMO its just not at this point, its not a huge deal to me cause I know what the trucks future is gonna be as my daily driver.

#20 ·
Hey if I wanted a bunch of people to get on here and b**** about my firewall and body mounts go somewhere else

#21 ·
Hey if you dont want to be bitched at why dont YOU go somewhere else. You came here for advice, you got it... aint our fault youre too damn dumb to use it.

#22 ·
I would really appreciate any help you guys can give me,
Hey if I wanted a bunch of people to get on here and b**** about my firewall and body mounts go somewhere else, I asked for some honest opinions and help, not to be criticized by everybody, thanks for those of you who are giving actual advice.

They're just giving you help and advice that is pertinent to your situation. Whether you choose to follow it or not is up to you. They're not trying to criticize so much as help you see why it would be beneficial to get the cab mounts fixed up right.

#24 ·
seriously toolbag if you don't like the info we're telling you as to fix your truck versus modifying it.....than you go somewhere else. why add power to a POS that doesn't have structural integrity? why be a dumbazz, fix the shyt that isn't right or don't come here for advice.

Chad

#26 ·
You know you guys are right, I'll have to fix the cab mounts, but right now I am asking about my turbo situation mostly, we all have our priorities and this is just mine right now, none of us do things the same and I know thats for sure. At least I'm not like most stupid kids who walks around with there ass hanging out and doing stupid #### all the time. I work my ass off for what I got this far and just want some help of some older wiser members. All that ^ was not showing older and wiser. I'm not the only one who needs to get their #### straight.

#27 ·
Nobody is trying to be a dick man, you just want to hear what you want to hear, i know how it goes.

Plain and simple of it though, fix the cab mounts, and throw the turbo on. Otherwise, youre going to be doing more work to fit the turbo then you would if you just fixed the cab... IMO, its going to be faster easier, and likely safer to just fix the cab, and literally bolt the turbo in afterwords.

Body lifts are not the best, add that into questionable cab mounts... and you get a pickup without a cab

#28 ·
it sounds like you don't weld, so to do all the piping to make a custom turbo setup is going to cost way more than fixing the cab mounts. just my thoughts on it!

#29 ·
I can weld and got all the stuff at work to mill stuff if need be, I did think about doing a body lift, which would replace all the old cab mounts with new and would give me more room under the hood.

#30 ·
body lift would be your best bet!! IMO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.