Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

Supercharged Diesel

15K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  96powerstroker 
#1 ·
Would there be ANY advantages to having a supercharged diesel motor? and/or explain why no one supercharges a diesel.

#2 ·
There are a few guys out there running chargers with turbo's, and I am yet to reaqlly hear a downside of it. ####in instaboost! Lol, iirc, you have to get a new front cover, unless I'm getting that confused with a common rail 7.3, all I know is its one badass concept

#3 ·
Youtube that Sh*t.

#9 ·
Turbo / supercharger combo is fairly common on commercial diesel engines. Our generator at work is a 16 cylinder cat (looks like two V8's joined together) which has two superchargers and four huge turbos.

#12 ·
Next time I'm on night shift I'll sneak my cell phone into the plant and take a few pics. (Non-intrinsically safe devises a not allowed in the plant). I may have a better opportunity to take pics when the MW's run the generator thru its monthly load test, that way some of the heat shielding will be removed and I'll be able to get shots of the glowing manifolds and turbos.

#14 ·
Live in Edmonton, Alberta and work in the petro-chemical industry. So there are around half a dozen within a hour drive, so pick one. LOL

#17 ·
how does it sounds any videos of it?

#20 ·
I know of a F/S Bronco with a 6.9L with twin eaton M90s........ said after all is said and done he would rather have a turbo..... his set up gets worse mileage than a Hummer....

#21 ·
yea but it all about being different. if we was all the same wouldnt this world get old quick??

#22 ·
It's also common in marine diesel were you need the compressor (Sry, supercharger) to jump up on plane.

#23 ·
2 stroke Detroit Diesel's require supercharger so that at idle the cylinder has positive pressure. Otherwise I dont think they run well at all without one.

I would love to do a centrifical compressor setup with a clutch. That way after a certain rpm/boost level is achieved (thanks to a turbo) the clutch would disengage and it would rely on the turbo only.

#25 ·
if u dont like a 2 stroke sound of gas or diesel ur unamerican sumthing about that unholy noise just brings the inner devil out in us all that noise is just wicked

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.